Norwegian Sky (RETIRED) Cruise Review

Second Mate

This is a beautiful, nicely maintained ship. The public areas are very attractive. The cabins are a bit on the small side. They didn't skimp in the bathrooms, which have ample shower space with these cool weighted shower curtain rods. Drawer space is practically non-existent, with only three very shallow drawers provided. There are two major design flaws in the room. First of all, for those of us who used the sofabed -- it pulls out in the walkway, making those who use the bathroom climb over the extended sofa bed. Secondly, the reading lights attached to wall are positioned so that you bump against them when you try to read. I later learned that they (at least some of them) swivel out of the way ... although some people say that they couldn't get theirs to swivel. The food in the dining room was pretty good, although sometimes I had a hard time finding something to select. (I don't like seafood, veal, and lamb -- which eliminates 70% of the choices.) I have heard that some waiters are strict about enforcing the "one entree per person" rule -- you may not get your second lobster. We didn't try the alternative dining, but I heard kudos about the alternative dining ... particulary Le Bistro. (I hear that the fondue is "to die for.") Evening dining at the Chow Chio is supposed to be good, too, but I've heard that everything is heavily spiced. The LIDO food, by contrast, was unimpressive. It was the same thing day after day, with some of the food not too appealing. (Eggs were runny, sausage in a vat of grease.) By the end of the week, most people learned to eat Breakfast and Lunch in the dining room ... where food was much better.