Norwegian Sky (RETIRED) Cruise Review

Alaska your way and NCL`s Sky way

If you ever have a chance to cruise Alaska, PLEASE do it... You will not be dissapointed. I sailed on the NCL Sky in June and had an unforgettable time. As you leave the port of Seattle, you are transformed from a tourist watching the beautiful Seattle skyline dissapear to discover a city afloat. For a bit more money, I booked an outside cabin with a private balcony. If you have the means, it will make the cruise much more enjoyable. I was in cabin 219 on the Norway deck and it was perfect. The scenery along the waterway was truly breathtaking. I`m a commercial photographer by trade and had thought I have seen it all but this trip really opened up my eyes. Words cannot describe the untouched beauty that Alaska has to offer. The waterfalls and numerous wild animals including bald eagles, whales, sea lions and even a couple of moose. We docked at all the typical "tourist traps" at the ports of call but I found the actual cruise to be much more enjoyable. We took the cable car to the top of Mt. Roberts in Juneau. If you`re not afraid of heights, it`s a must see. Skagway and Ketchikan have numerous land adventures to experience. If you have the resources, almost 200.00 per person I would highly reccommend the helicopter ride to the top of a glacier. You will remember it for a lifetime. When the ship approaches Saywer glacier, you`ll soon have a new appreciation for natures power. The cobalt blue frozen glacier will put you in a trance while gazing into it`s quiet power. Then all of a sudden a huge chunk breaks off and the thunder it creates splahing into the water makes you want more. The final port of Victoria Cananda was perhaps a little too much for the journey. I didn`t do a land excursion as we were simply worn out. The floral displays were supposed to be breathtaking but I had enough. But don`t forget to eat... The freestyle dining is the prime reason we chose NCL.. You eat whenever you want, with whomever you want and wherever you want there are 7 dining rooms onboard. They do have a formal night but you dont have to attend. The attire is strictly resort casual but I saw people in the dining rooms with sneakers and were seated. The staff was a bit overworked by the end of the cruise but they had "your wish is my command" attitude. So except for the terrible lines checking to the ship almost 2 hours, the ship, the crew, the food, the ports of call were fabulous. I have the photos to prove it..