Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Second Mate

Sail Date: December 11, 2011

We were so happy on the Sun last year that we anticipated loving everything about the Pearl. It was a big disappointment.

Pros: Fast response to criticisms, lunch buffets, Oh What A Night entertainers

Cons: Summer Palace dinners were mostly almost inedible

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? No.

Our room steward walked into our room the first two mornings while we were still in bed. When I saw him later the second morning, I asked him where the "do not disturb" tags were. He then told me about the dial on the wall outside our door which we should have been using to indicate that, as well as our desire to have the room made up. Nobody had told us that, nor was it printed in the daily newsletter. They printed plenty of pages about things they wanted to sell, but not a word about that.
The Oh What A Night group was marvelous, as were the two jugglers. The rest was substandard. When the singing and dancing troupe performed, the instrumental part was so loud that it drowned out the singers. We left before the end of their second performance. We have never before done that. The comedian Andrew something-or-other was barely deserving of that title. He showed home movies of his little son's football games. He told of his little daughter making up an excuse to leave the bathroom when she was in there while he was pooping and the room got smelly. By whose standard is that funny?
The breakfast and lunch buffets were wonderful. The Summer Palace food was horrible. It was the worst food I have had in 25 cruises on various lines. I felt that they were trying to drive us into their restaurants that charged extra -- although they deny this. One evening, the chef's special selection was a burrito! You could smell the trout coming to your table. The snapper was dried out. Both fish seemed to be just thrown in the oven with no spices or sauces at all. Desserts looked pretty but were mostly tasteless.
There were very few lounge chairs under shade by the pool. They had mostly tables and chairs for dining.
By far the smallest ever. Both my husband and I had to sit sideways on the toilet. However, it was clean and attractive.