Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Alaska on the Norwegian Pearl

Sail Date: May 31, 2009

We were pleased with the ship itself and would sail on it again.

Pros: Service was excellent and the ship was beautiful. Everything was so clean!

Cons: Disappointed in the food for the most part. The "freestyle dining" claim is an exaggeration. Only 4 of the restaurants are actually free and the hours are not as liberal as expected.

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? Yes!

Bought one of the cheaper rooms and regretted it. It was located at the very front of the 4th deck. I could live with the sound of the water hitting just below our porthole but the thrusters engaging at 3 or 4 in the morning as we came into port was unbearable. Of course, we walked a lot due to the location. The room was so small that my husband, at 6'7", was not even able to towel off in the bathroom. In order to reach the telephone or the clock, we had to crawl to the top of the bed. I really think there should be some sort of notice posted on the website warning people of what they are signing up for if they select this sort of room.
ALL of the staff was extremely courteous, helpful, and friendly. I could not have been more pleased.
This was our first cruise. While the ship was very nice and quite clean, I definitely learned a thing or two about cabin selection. I will never again stay in a room all the way to the front or the back of the ship. Live and learn...
The "freestyle dining" claim is an exaggeration. Only 4 of the restaurants are actually free and the hours are not as liberal as expected. I also felt that most dishes were just slightly "off". Burgers were dry, food at the Italian restaurant tasted like a boxed microwavable entree, etc.
Could do with a lot less "lectures" selling jewelry and health spa services. The Newlywed Game was great. Really, really enjoyed the Wildfire duo.
Ketchikan, Alaska
Ketchikan was the nicest of the Alaskan ports.
Don't Miss: Didn't do anything but walk around town.
Juneau, Alaska
It was okay. Very touristy and dirty. The mountains were beautiful. All of the ports had way too many jewelry and fur stores.
Don't Miss: We didn't do anything except wander through the town.
Victoria, British Columbia
We loved Victoria. It would have been nice to spend more time there and earlier in the day. By the time we got there at 6pm, some things were closed and with the limited port time, there was no way to see very much.
Don't Miss: Shops were the best on the cruise.
Skagway, Alaska
Skagway looks and feels much like Juneau.
Don't Miss: The White Pass train.