Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Smooth sailing with a couple of bumps

Sail Date: March 11, 2007

The Norweigan Pearl is a beautiful, brand new ship...but if you're an experienced cruiser this may not be the cruise for you. Everything was excellent (ship, ports, staff), but the food and concept of "freestyle dining" was terrible. Of course, any issue dealing with the ship is minor compared to the headaches involved with booking with . After we booked the cruise, we tried to get ahold of our agent numerous times, but he never returned our calls. So that meant we went through about five other agents all of which were unhelpful and misleading towards all aspects about the cruise. Through one of our numerous calls we were on hold for about 2 hours. Also I requested to have documents mailed to me and if it weren't for us staying on top of things we might have never received our information. However, we finally did get it about three days PRIOR to the cruise. I booked through many other companies before but was by far the worst. They should be paying us the commission for all of the work we had to do even though they were taking our money. Even if is less expensive than other websites, I'll probably never book through them again.

Pros: the staff and ports

Cons: the food and booking with cruisesonly.com

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? Yes!

I hated the freestyle dining. The concept sounds good but needs a lot of touching up. To even get into one of the included restaurants you need to have a reservation (which hello that doesn't sound very free to me). I also want to add that all of the people we dealt with a (6) told us during the time of year we were traveling that you didn't need to have a reservation. Since we took their advice we missed out on experiencing all of the restaurants.Once you got into the restaurant the food was terrible. Small quantities of food, some of the food I couldn't even eat, and not much variety from day to day. In fact, the buffets are a lot better then what you get in the other restaurants. Also I've been on a lot of other cruises through Carnival and Royal Carribbean and I like getting to know the people who are serving you. There's no way to do this in the freestyle.
I highly recommend the nightly shows everything from show girls, comedians, magicians, and we even saw BMX riders that performed on ramps on the stage. However, besides the nightly shows there wasn't a lot to doing during the day on the ship and we only saw our cruise director once!!
Our room steward was very courteous, knew me and my boyfriend on a first name basis, the room was always in tip top shape so much so we gave even more of tip to our steward at the end of the week. It was also nice having first run movies in the room.
Again I can't state enough how great of a job the staff did during our trip. All of them went above and beyond.
The staff does a remarkable job of keeping the ship beautiful. There's also a lot to do if you like to keep busy (nightclubs, pools, spa) or you can just relax and have just as much fun.
Belize City, Belize
We went on a beach break excursion where we were taken to a beautiful white sandy beach. We also chose to do some kayaking.
We chose to walk around the city and do some shopping. We were going to do an excursion but Norweigan had them set up where they gave you a coupon to catch a taxi to and from your excursion. We didn't feel safe doing that so we just walked around.
Belize City, Belize