Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Will Never Cruise Again

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

The decor was a little gaudy for our taste, but, being a new ship, most areas were clean and sharp. The whole NCL experience was very commercial. We thought we were being given a complimentary cocktail at the welcoming party. Found out too late that they cost us $8 apiece. Had I known I would have ordered something I like rather that the Mai Tai that was given to me. We quickly learned to accept nothing because there is a complimentary "nothing" on board.

Pros: The ports of call. Alaska was fantastic.

Cons: The food. The boredom during the day. The commercialism.

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? No.

We were very disappointed in the food. On our first cruise years ago, we were treated to a gourmet meal every night. On the Pearl, the main dining room was Lite Dining. I may have seen that advertised, but, don't recall it. The food was very bland and non-filling. The food in the Garden Restaurant buffet was tastier (not Lite) but you could rarely find a seat inside. Eating outside in the cool Alaskan air was not a treat. The food was cold before you could start. The only excellent meals were in the specialty restaurants. However, I really resented paying $40 plus to get a decent meal. Some nights the more popular ones were booked so you you couldn't even pay for a meal.
Overall, the staff was quite good. Except for the main desk area, most were knowledageble and tried to be helpful. There were entirely too many photographers constantly in your face.
During the day, activities were poor. There were many lectures but they all related to purchasing something on board - jewelry, acupuncture, etc. There were no lectures on Alaska, people, history, culture, etc. The only non-commercial item was a 45 minute presentation by a Park Ranger when we entered Glacier Bay. The night life was fairly decent. Good band in one of the clubs, decent casino. Drinks were way too high plus the bill included a mandatory 15%. I prefer to decide my own tip.