Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Freestyling Cruise

Sail Date: March 01, 2007

This is a brand new NCL ship. Very clean, very nice, lots of options of things to do. The main lobby is only two stories tall, and has no "wow" factor. Sports Deck, pool/hot tub area, and rock climbing wall are all cool. NCL does not allow passengers on the deck at the bow - wasted space.

The freestyle eating options are excellent, and all the specialtiy restaurants (French, Italian, Japanese, Sushi, Mexican) were outstanding. Over the course of our cruise we ate high quality sashimi, escargot, chateaubriand, lobster, scallops, tiramisu, steak, frog's legs, and more. Although they call it freestyle, you pay extra to eat at the speciality restaurants ($15-$20 per person).

Second City provided revues and improv sessions - VERY funny, a strong cast. The Vegas and magic acts were lame. The bars and casino were average for a cruise ship but fun enough. One bar has a bowling alley in it.

My primary complaint was the indifferent attitude of all staff except the room stewards. Most seemed to have a bored detachment. For example, when we arrived dockside, one skycap (shipcap?) approached to take our bags, then a second began arguing with the first that it was his turn and his tip. They argued as we stood there, then both walked away. A third porter eventually came by and took care of our luggage while yelling at the first two for not taking care of us. Of course, with this kind of attention you know that they managed to lose my bag in the vast 50 yards between the curb and the ship. When my bag wasn't in my room by midnight, I expressed my worries to the ship board staff. She said she would have the stewards search again, and offered me a T-shirt to sleep in and my choice of Lost-And-Found clothes to wear the next day. My bag showed up at noon on the second day of the cruise without apology. The exception to the staff were our room stewards - very helpful, friendly, and courteous.

Pros: Restaurants, Second City shows

Cons: Cruise staff

Recommends Norwegian Pearl? Yes!

Belize City, Belize
Not yet a big tourist trap
Don't Miss: Ariel Trek and Caves - zip line the treetops of the jungle then float through dark caves
Drunken college kids everywhere on the main street; go to the beach clubs