Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Bermuda

It was OK at best

Sail Date: June 21, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

NCL Majesty Baltimore to Bermuda June 21, 2009
Captain Blomqvist, cruise director Julie McCoy, food, service and staff were very good. However, as a family vacation, I feel let down. This was our first cruise, though we have some experience travelling on family vacations. Recent vacations were to Yellowstone Park, central and southern California, and a cabin in the Smoky Mountains. Our 4 kids (8-11-15-17) wanted to cruise this year. We get one shot a year at a vacation and it is very important to us. We did our research online and talked a lot with NCL cruise reps. We asked about every detail we could think of. Each child had his or her own priorities. We asked about TV, snacks, soft-serve ice cream, family activities, facilities, etc. We were all excited about the great things we were told. However, the reality was far from the excessively cheery hype.

I think as an elder or young couple vacation, it was probably good: bingo, newlywed game, 60s revival music, etc. But for an active family, the results did not live up to the glitzy promotion. The facilities were far from adequate. When the weather was good, everyone was up on decks 10 and 11. There were not enough tables and lounge chairs. Twice I enlisted the services of the Majestys fine staff just to get tables and chairs so my family could eat together. Often there were not enough lounges on deck 11. Once I felt sorry for a child my daughters age sitting on the floor, and I gave up my lounge for her. When the weather was inclement, there was not enough sitting room inside on decks 5 or 6 at the various venues. Sometimes we just ended up back in our cabin. During the rocky weather, games were sometimes hard to find. We ended up with the last scrabble game but that only had about half the letter tiles. The Wii activity was mismanaged and if I wasnt there to speak up for my child, he would have been placed in the back of the line despite the fact we were one the first to arrive.

My son complained that the soft serve ice cream station sometimes not working. The chips and pretzels that we were told would be available never materialized. And the TV stations that were supposed to be available, rarely were.

If anyone has the idea of a cruise being a family vacation, Id be very wary especially after our experience. The kids activities were little more than daycare. My kids went to one or two, but I felt very guilty trying to get them to go when they didnt want to.

Pros: Food

Cons: Most everything else

Recommends Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED)? No.