Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Very disappointed

Sail Date: March 01, 2007

We chose this ship because we live in South Carolina and it sailed out of Charleston. Did not realize it was such a tiny ship when we chose it, and we prefer the newer, glitzy cruise ships. One of our party was a first-time cruiser, however, and she thought everything was awesome.

The art auction was held in a corner that was too small and crowded. Not enough seats for everyone.

Food left much to be desired. In the dining room I ordered biscuits and gravy, and the biscuits were hard as a rock. In the cafeteria I picked up a scone, and it, too, was too hard to eat.

The cabin staff were wonderful (although I sort of like the ships where the cabin staff are seen in the hallways a lot--not the case here). But the cafeteria staff were rude and unhelpful. Two examples: I was carrying a tray of food and one person (believe it was a supervisor, no less) cut in front of me rather than politely letting me go first. Another time (again in the cafeteria) I selected fish but could not find tartar sauce. I asked one of the line servers if they had tartar sauce, and he merely said, "No." Another day they did have it, so he should have provided it when asked.

We also hated the cafeteria setting. Unpleasant and hard to find a seat. We did learn (by accident) that there was more seating downstairs, but no one officially told us this.

The main dining room servers were pleasant and efficient. No problems there. I did have a problem on the formal night, however. I would have been very upset if I had packed formal wear for my husband (he never goes to the formal meals, so no problem there), because they let everyone in--jeans, t-shirts, whatever--along with those who were dressed to the nines. Also, we ordered the flaming dessert expecting it would be a showy dessert. Well, it flamed somewhere else and just lay limply on the plate when we got it.

The girl at the tour desk was not familiar with the tours. We selected one that was not described too well. I asked her if it was just a glass bottom boat, and she said no. Guess what: It was a glass bottom boat with a very poor guide. When I complained and asked her to take my complaint to her supervisor, she gave her version and did not take any responsibility, so we got a letter saying there was nothing wrong with the tour. (I pursued this after we got home and got a partial refund.)

We will never go on this ship again. It needs to be retired. We have had several nice cruises with NCL, but this was not one of them. Wish another ship would sail out of Charleston.

Pros: Freestyle dining

Cons: Too many to list

Recommends Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED)? No.

Cafeteria staff a disappointment; cabin crew great! It averaged out.