Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Bermuda

First Cruise to Bermuda

Sail Date: October 01, 2006

This is the second cruise from Charleston on the Majesty for my husband and I. The first one was to the Western Caribbean and this cruise was to Bermuda. This was the first cruise ever to Bermuda from this port. We arrived in Charleston a little early and had to wait in the car line for about an hour before the port authority could let us park and board. Quite a few people drive to this port from the Carolinas because of the convenience. From what I gathered from several people that it is easier to actually get a hotel the night before and you can park your car there and take a taxi or shuttle to the port. The parking at the port is $15.00 a day, but they usually put you in the warehouse parking and your car is very safe while you are gone. The lines move very quickly and we were on the ship in no time at all. Charleston Port Authority and NCL do a great job of moving everything smoothly.

We booked an inside room this time to save some money. We do not spend a lot of time in the room anyway. Our room was in the front of the ship on the 3rd level. The room had the basic amenities and was fine as far as we were concerned. Yes the rooms are a little small, but this is an older ship and will soon be retired according to NCL. NCL is still going to keep a ship in Charleston (Yeah) so when they retire the Majesty in the next 2 years, we will get another ship. Our room stewards were great and helpful. Everything was kept clean and we asked for extra towels and they always made sure we had them.

I have read a lot of complaints on the food on this ship, but I personally thought the food in the dining rooms was great. I love trying new things and everything I tried I loved. The breakfast buffet was a little crowded, but there was overflow downstairs if the seats are all full upstairs. The bar folks were friendly and quick in delivery of any drink orders.

The trip to Bermuda was easy and luckily no storms or bad weather but it was very windy going into the cut and on the island itself all week. The water was rough and all the boating excursions were cancelled while we were docked there. We bought a bus pass and got around that way. The bus drivers are very helpful but make sure you are very courteous to them. This is a British territory and everyone has an expected code of conduct of Good Morning, Please Thank you etc. They will tell you when you need to get off the bus for certain attractions if you ask. The bus system is easy to understand. Also make sure you get a map of the island and the bus routes and attraction information when you buy your bus tickets. They are free. Bermuda was a lot of fun even though October is not the best month to go out to the island.

I loved the spa on the Majesty. My husband and I went twice and the massage therapists were great. They were not pushy at all about selling products. The shows were good but the stage really is very small. The juggling comic was wonderful and very funny. Be careful where you sit in the theater because some seats have limited view. The cruise directors staff was very friendly and easy to get to know. I loved Igor, he was great!! The Ms. Majesty contest is funny and the Almost Newlywed game is a hoot.

The trip back to Charleston was rough. We hit some bad weather and the swells were over 18ft. I never get seasick but I did this time. The disposable bags were everywhere on the ship. My husband and I had to take seasick meds and lay down for about 3 hours. They had to cancel one show for the dancers safety. It was a lot of fun trying to pack while the ship was pitching. I wish someone could have videotaped it. What a riot! We were 3 hours late into Charleston due to the weather and the inability to make the speed we needed to.

Pros: Food, Spa, Friendly Staff

Cons: High Drink Prices, Art Auctions

Recommends Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED)? Yes!

The ship is a small 32000 ton ship so the amenties were basic. It was older than most and will be retired soon.
Beds were very comfortable but staterooms are small
Everyone was friendly and helpful and if you had a request (more towels) it was no problem. The captain was approachable.
Shows were good and the comics were fun.
Freestyle dining is the best. Eat anytime you want. Never had to worry about missing your dining time. I did not eat in the specialty restaurants so I cannot rate that.