Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Bermuda

An enjoyable and relaxing cruise!

Sail Date: July 02, 2006

We just returned from a cruise to Bermuda on Norwegian Majesty. We had not been on a cruise in over ten years so we were very excited about the trip. The stateroom which I feared may be very small to accomodate 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) was actually quite nice. Everything was clean and the beds were quite comfortable. The bath was small but quite functional. The staff was wonderful. We did not encounter one staff member that wasn't pleasant. In fact most of them went above and beyond our expectations. The entertainment was great!! The bands and shows were very entertaining. Even the boys (ages 11 and 13) had the time of their lives and they didn't even join the kids clubs because they wanted to stay together and they would have been separated due to their ages. Most of the boys in this age group seemed to have preferred not to join the ships clubs and opted to stay together instead and have fun. What I would like to advise anyone thinking of booking the cruise of is that the food really wasn't what we had expected. A lot has changed in the ten years since our last cruise. We eat fine food at home and frankly I was expecting the same on the ship. Instead there wasn't much variety (a lot of chicken and tilapia) and even the dishes that I thought might be good such as beef stroganoff were lousy. All of the restaurants that were covered by our cruise fare were mediocre at best. The last evening of our cruise we were determined to have a decent meal and booked a reservation with Le Bistro (a restaurant which we had been told served elegant meals but which we had to pay $20.00 per person for) and at last we had a meal which we enjoyed. It was extrodinary. Another point of interest is that no soda or bottled water is included in your cruise cost. This is a very important point especially if you are traveling with children as it gets very costly!! In fact, if you eat at the buffet on deck there are no drinks offered at no cost for children. The only drinks available were coffee, tea, and iced tea. One other point of interest is that when you arrive in Bermuda the ship gives you vouchers (to anyone either 12 or 13 or older) for eating on the island. We were fortunate enough to have come across some individuals that informed us that if you didn't use these vouchers we would be charged. I cannot tell you how many people didn't know this and lost money. This almost seems like a scam. Apparently there is something in writing informing people of this but we, like so many others were on vacation and missed the fine print. Cruisers beware!!! My aunt is 76 years old and lost her $5.00 because we forgot to mention it. I wonder how many others forgot as well. It seems to me that rather than handing these out to everyone the cruise line could offer them at the reception desk to anyone that MAY have wanted them!!! In closing I would say that we would probably take this cruise again simply because it leaves from Boston and it is convenient but we would certainly figure another $800.00 into the final cost for dinners because we would be eating at Le Bistro every evening. Frankly, I would rather have spent extra and been able to eat well at all of the restaurants. I hope that you find this information helpful and have fun on your next cruise!

Pros: The waitstaff and our stateroom

Cons: The food

Although my children opted not to join these programs for children, some of our friends on the ship did send their children and they had a wonderful time. Each and everyone of them looked forward to going!
St. George's, Bermuda
We went on the glass bottom boat ride. It was nice but I heard from many folks that the glass bottom kayaks were better. Whether you travel by bus or cab the drivers are always knowledgable and can give you some really useful information. Absolutely take in one of the gorgeous beaches in the area. My son and husband rented jet skis and toured the area and said it was wonderful. The crystal caves are a great place to visit with children as is the museum which is included in one of the excursions offered. And of course, there is lots of fine shopping. St. George's is really very quaint and pretty.