Norwegian Majesty (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Bermuda

Delightfully Decadent

Sail Date: May 14, 2006

I booked this trip with great hesitation -- I'd always wanted to go to Bermuda, particularly in the month of May. My summer plans had fallen through, and my teenage and college-age daughters were hard to pin down once June arrives. Everything seemed "a go" for a mid-May booking, with the exception of the fact that having never taken a cruise, I wasn't particularly enthused about taking one either. To me, it seemed like a very long time to spend among a group of people I don't particularly want to get to know, with no escape. But I threw caution to the wind and booked the three of us anyways. And I'm so glad I did, and cannot wait to go again! There was always something to do for passengers of all ages, and at any given point in time, one could be as alone or not alone as one desired. And who can complain to being held captive to relaxation!?
My one disappointment, however, was the food on board. To me, regardless of the restaurant, the food tasted steam-table cafeteria-ish. Maybe a step above high school cafeteria, maybe a 5-star cafeteria. The best bets turned out to be the chicken caesar salad and the steak sandwich available through room service, and the hot dogs and cheeseburgers available at the 24/7 grill on the top deck. Thank goodness for these discoveries!
However, I cannot say enough about not having to dine among strangers, not having to dress up to dine, and not having to eat at specific times.
Another, smaller disappointment was that the second pool was empty and closed down, leaving one very small pool which was often in the shade, and overcrowded with children and their hovering parents. This resulted in a very wet and slippery and congested area of the ship, difficult to pass by with trays of food or whatever.

Pros: No specific mealtimes, no

Cons: The food, the

see write-up above
I specifically selected an inside cabin with cabins on one side of the hallway only, figuring it would cut down on traffic and outside noise. It was extremely quiet, I never saw another passenger while entering or leaving my cabin!
Sometimes hokey, but always something to do. One didn't have to look too hard to "make their own good times."
With the single exception being our first night onboard, when my daughter was extremely seasick and I attempted to have room service deliver toast, crackers, and apples to us in a public, mid-ship area, where we were because staff had told us it was the most stable part of the ship. Room service was argumentative that my call could only be placed from my room and that they could only deliver to my room. A staffer standing near the house phone I was using intercepted and explained the situation and implored them, on our behalf, to bring my order to me. One hour and 15 mins. later, the toast and crackers arrived!