Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Alaska

The good and the bad

Sail Date: September 17, 2016

Reviewed: 21 days ago

In many ways this was an amazing cruise!  The ports of call were great and the crew was wonderful!  Everyone always had a smile and were fun to interact with.  Our steward was top notch and we thoroughly enjoyed the bartenders, the wait staff in the restaurants, and all other personnel.  Norwegian was extremely organized when it came to embarkation and disembarkation.  Both went very smoothly and quicker than we have experienced on other lines.

Those are the good things.  Now for areas that I did not care for.  I did not like the layout of the ship.  There was no beautiful atrium area.  The dining rooms simply felt like I was eating in a coffee shop.  The food was so-so.  Our bed was okay but not real comfortable.  I suppose these are personal tastes, but for me a big part of the enjoyment of the cruise is the quality of the food and the ambience of the entire ship.  I will not sail on Norwegian again because of these things.

This was considered a mini-suite (not sure why they call it that though). Cabin was nice, very clean and we had a nice balcony. Stateroom was adequate, but certainly not very large.
Extremely well organized! I was impressed!
Did not care for the layout of the ship
I did splurge and went to the spa for a massage. While the massage felt wonderful, part of the relaxation was nullified by the masseuse trying to upsell me on her very expensive products.
Our steward Raymundo and my favorite bartender were exceptional. All of the crew were friendly and helpful.
Cagneys Steakhouse and Le Bistro were very good! La Cacina was inedible -- simply horrible. The dining room food was adequate, nothing more. The buffet, while providing a huge variety, got very old, very quickly.
Seattle, Washington
Driving in Seattle is crazy! I recommend using a cab!
Ketchikan, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Skagway, Alaska
Take the train up to Whitehorse! Well worth every penny!
Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Alaska