Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Decent Cruise

Sail Date: January 01, 2014

At first I really enjoyed the way the boat was decorated. I really enjoyed the doors into the cabin's and the bright colors throughout the ship. However, it became annoying that not all elevators went to where I wanted to go and that I found myself having to wind from the left to the right side of the ship just to get from one end to the other (where available). I also think there was a lack of hot tubs as they were always full with people waiting. There's a random shower decoration thing on the 13th deck that no one ever used (except for to see what it does) that could easily be replaced with 2 more hot tubs (or anything more interesting.

Pros: Tapanyaki

Cons: Asymmetry of the ship.

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? No.

Our bathroom toilet would not flush for 4 or 5 of the 7 days we were on the ship. We had someone come to fix it every time it broke but it was really annoying. Even worse however was the smell that lingered in our hallway throughout the entirety of the cruise. If I ever wanted to go back to the room I would be left with no choice but to walk through smells of manure and garbage.
Even though there was no 24 hour restaurant, I enjoyed the fact that there was ever only 1 hour on board where room service was your only option for food. I really like the blue lagoon on this ship as well as the Dawn (and the cheesecake there is always fantastic) and I really judge a ship sometimes on the amount of time they have where you cant get food. Otherwise, the diner's food was good, not the best I've had on a cruise before, but the specialty dining options exceeded my expectations and was absolutely delicious.
Would be okay if it wasn't for the smells and the odd corridor it was placed. (offset of the main hallway and only accessible by 1 elevator.
The staff was average. Nothing exceptional. But I think for some of the game shows the wrong staff was chosen to host. Some of the staff did not have the kind of humor that should be brought to the shows. My best example being that of the "Norwegians best dance" competition or however it was named. Last year on the Epic, the judged were mean, but in a way that made everyone in the audience laugh (as well as being apologetic afterwards to the performers and congratulating them on a good job.) This year however, out of the 3 judges I felt that only one of them was even close (but even her humor got dry after the third round). The shows were worse planned as well (going back to the dance competition, there was no variety like there was on the Epic). Finally I feel that the cruise director played a large part in this average performance and i feel that she herself at times was trying to be someone she's not which came off as tacky and dry at times.
I thought the shows on board (as they have always been something I look forward to each night on board) were less than average. The comedian and the ventriloquist were the two performances that stood out to be of expectation (with the ventriloquist exceeding). However everything else, particularly with the "dance group" was much less than I expected. They weren't funny, they were hardly entertaining and I felt like half the time I was going to watch people dancing with as little clothing as possible on stage. If this is the type of "dance shows" Norwegian has decided to endorse, then I suggest at least explaining this in the description of each show.