What I expected
Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage
Ship: Norwegian Jewel
Cabin Type: Inside
Traveled As: Couple
Reviewed: 5 years ago
1) The shows were entertaining. Not quite vegas good, but butter than average.
2) Free-style dining. I liked eating whenever I wanted and I liked the 24 hour \"Blue Lagoon\" restaurant. It had great buffalo wings.
3) Shuffle board.
4) Game room - it was always full!
5) Beautiful view of a glacier
1) There are other dining options that you have to pay for.
2) There was not enough quiet lounge space. If it was raining or windy, you have to be inside. The best place was the \"Spinnaker Lounge\", but during the day there were always events like Bingo, activities for kids, etc., so it was too loud to just take a nap. There were plenty of other venues for them to use, but for some reason this room was always used.
3) The emergency protocol wasn't thorough. They showed us how to find and put on our life vest, but not where I was supposed to meet in case of an emergency.
The food was vegas-buffet quality - good. The sit-down places for meals were better than the buffet but not gourmet. For example, the first night I ordered the lobster and fish, and both were over-cooked.
Ketchikan - nothing to really do here except buy jewelry.
Juneau - awesome place! Canoeing to Lake Mendenhall was the best. We got really close to the glacier and poked at icebergs!
Skagway - easy to access trails right off the ship. No need to book an excursion if you just want to hike (anywhere from 2-14 miles).
Victoria BC - go to fisherman's wharf where you can feed a sea lion and get shuck for a buck!
Food and Dining
Service and Staff
Cabin / Stateroom
Pros: Free-style dining
Cons: Not enough quiet space to just lounge