Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Relaxing Cruise with Reservations

Sail Date: February 04, 2012

Oswald, my cabin attendance was efficient and did an excellent job. Janell, in Tsar's restaurant was very kind and always remembered my name. In general, the crew were friendly, hard workers and earnest. I enjoyed the Bora Bora spa and did not mind paying the $100.00, as that kept the crowds away.

The cruise itself of smooth and the getaway I really needed.

Point One: Upon boarding, I immediately noticed that the finishing of the workmanship of the Jewel was not of high quality. My aft balcony was cabin felt smaller than what I am used to. Together with other cruise critics, we did a cabin tour..and I found the so-called mini-suites...were um, Mini. The only impressive accommodation was the aft Penthouse.

Point Two: Though there were the washy-washy girls in the Garden Cafe...who encouraged clean hands, I found that the Public areas were just not sanitary. Though there were attendants with brooms, they constantly overlooked food debris left under table by other cruisers. Debris such as orange rinds, bread, etc. The tables need to be replaced as many were chipped on the corners. I often questioned the cleanliness of the silver and glassware. Clearly, the restaurant staff have not have four star training. I was often served soup with food dripping over the edges. And the bread was served cold.

Point Three: Obviously, NCL wants to attract solo travelers...and I would think in 2012, your crew would be accustomed to serving a female solo traveler, as I was. I feel your crew needs training in this area. For example, on day one, a cabin attendant, from down the hall commented.."Wow! You are tall!!" and another when I was enroute to dinner, I heard from another attendant, "Beautiful." On a cruise when I just wanted peace, I was not interested in running commentary from crew. In addition, I grew weary at restaurants of being asked about the whereabouts of my "date".

Point Four: NCL needs to include racial and cultural diversity with interactive audience games. NCL does an excellent job at hiring staff from around the world. And with various cultures represented among your passengers, they should also be included in your on-stage activities. Also, it should be announced how people can sign up for the various games.

POINT FIVE: The Internet Cafe was useless. After waiting 11 minutes to access the Internet, while being charged 75 cents per minute. I requested and received a credit.

I am not the type of traveler who needs doting. Overall, I got the rest I needed but I do think attention to the areas I outlined could enhance the NCL brand.

Pros: The Sea, My Balcony

Cons: Poor Maintenance of public areas

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? No.