Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

One of the best values out there

Sail Date: January 01, 2012

I've cruised with Celebrity, and now with Norwegian. Now that I've given you context here are my thoughts:
1. Celebrity wins in the food category - it was top-notch. Norwegian food was plentiful, but largely just ok, in comparison. I was honestly thirsty most of the time when I wasn't drinking alcohol...outside of water there weren't alot of free options (ok for most, but sometimes you feel like something different)
2. Norwegian wins in the price-point category - significantly less money...but there were more "extras" to pay for if necessary (soda program? are all cruises going this way?)
3. Activities on the ship were great, and the shows were terrific...really enjoyed the fact that there were alot of things to do that kept us interested...Norwegian takes the edge here..while activities on Celebrity were great too, the shows weren't as memorable to me (or maybe I drank more...)

Pros: Low, low cost. Great itinerary & escape from the frigid north

Cons: "Soda" programs, shore-excursions are pricey

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? Yes!

Everything on the ship was fantastic, but thats what I would expect on a cruise-ship. Nothing particularly stood out vs. a previous cruise-ship I've sailed with.
I'm a former submarine sailor, so an inside stateroom is better than anything I could've hoped for in a previous life! You wont spend much time in your stateroom anyway, but if you do, and you aren't accustomed to small-spaces, opt for a balcony.
Everyone was very friendly and happy to help.
We attended 5/7 of the nightly shows. Of the 5, 4 were top quality and I would've happily paid to see them. There were, distinctly, 3 top-notch shows. Very good job here.
Disclaimer: I didnt bring my kids with me, but my Wife and I investigated the programs and shadowed some of the activities to see if our girls would enjoy the cruise next time. We really think they would. The Nickolodean programs were great fun and the kids seemed to really enjoy them.
My reference point here is Celebrity Cruises, which I am told is better than average quality. The food on the Norwegian Jewel was good, dont get me wrong - it just wasn't of the same caliber as Celebrity's. I was never hungry, thats for sure - but the food was a bit "bland" at times.