Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Good for families.

Sail Date: November 05, 2011

This is a great cruise for families with kids, but I do not recommend it for singles or younger couples. Kids EVERYWHERE.

For a ship of this size, I would've expected a larger pool area and more than 4 hot tubs. There was a sign next to the small pool that said "adults only", but it was never enforced. Music blared through the PA system or by a DJ near the pool. If you wanted quiet, you had to go up 2 floors to the "quiet deck." I would have preferred a separate quiet pool area just for adults. There was also no indoor pool area, so there wasn't much to do on cooler days.

Unfortunately, we couldn't go to Great Stirrup Cay because of high surf, so we had an extra at sea day. The staff did what they could to entertain during the at sea days, but it was still boring. Florida and Nassau were fun though.

That being said, the food and shows were great, as were the staff.

Pros: food, entertainment, customer service

Cons: too many kids, not much to do during at-sea days, small and noisy pool area

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? Yes!

The evening shows were outstanding! There was a stand-up comedian, magician/comedian, and an acrobatic duo. The cruise dancers/singers were also great, and the cruise director and his staff did a funny skit on the last night. It was cute. During the day, activities were lean.
The decor was a little cheesy, but everything was clean and laid out clearly. Norwegian is big on cleanliness; there are antibacterial wash stations everywhere and "washy washy" girls who spray your hands when you enter the buffet.
The food was great, both at the buffet, dining rooms, and cover charge restaurants. I especially recommend Teppanyaki ($25) for an awesome hibachi show. Make your reservations as early as you can, as Teppanyaki fills up fast! Le Bistro ($20) was also delicious. The chocolate buffet was disappointing; a lot of the desserts seemed pre-packaged and not fresh. Breakfast room service was also disappointing, as you can only get breads and fruit, not hot food like eggs.
I had an interior stateroom, which for the size, had everything I needed. Big comfy bed, nice sized closet, bathroom, the works. My tall travel companion had a difficult time using the toilet, as there wasn't much room.
All staff we encountered were courteous and willing to help with anything we needed.
Port Canaveral, Florida
I went to Cocoa Beach, which I only recommend if it's warm enough to swim. The beach itself is gorgeous, but the surrounding town is not particularly interesting.

Don't Miss: Visit Dolphin Cay at the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island! So amazing!