Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Good cruise - horrible return

Sail Date: March 06, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

Cruise staff was great and helpful, food was plentiful and good, very clean, great slide and heated pool for the kids (although I wish the pool had more shallow places where you can actually stand up and hold your child... Good rooms with decent space (we had a mini-suite). Loved the kid-sized area for dining at the cafe with it's small puffy chairs and small tables, as well as it's own buffet area and juice bar. However, I have to say the embarkation/disembarkation procedures were simply horrendous. I had to wait in line with 2 children (one of whom is only 2!) for 2 hours because they announced that it's fine to disembark and then, after we were standing in the line for 1/2 hour told everyone that the customs are "backed up'!!!! There was not even a separate line for families with little children - my little one was crying all the way and not a single person cared!!! I have sailed on many ships before and this disembarkation ruined my entire experience of sailing on NCL. Not to mention the rudeness and the attitude of the customs personnel in NY who made us feel like refugees and advised us to just fly to FL next time... nice!

Pros: Ship, food, entertainment

Cons: Embarkation/Disembarkation (HORRIBLE!!!), Kid's club

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? Yes!

It was very dissapointing that my kids had to be separated because of the age difference. My little one did not want to stay without his big brother and started crying half an hour into his stay, so I had to go and get him. The few times that were allowed for together play were early in the morning at after 10 at night (both only for half an hour), which is ridiculous because my kids actually go to sleep at 9:30-10. The babysitting services in the staterooms are also not available, so being a single mom on the cruise completely deprived me of any ability to enjoy ship's entertainment life after my kids went to sleep.
Would have rated higher, if the specialty restaurants would have been better... In a French restaurant everything that we ordered except for the Lamb and Salmon was completely oversalted and inedible. The only highlights were desserts. The japanese sushi was horrible as well - the octopus (tako) smelled so bad that I had to complain and the rest of the rolls were just bad. No highlighs there. The steakhouse was the best of the bunch - very good service, attentive and very good food - Loved the shrimp coctails, the smoked salmon, truffled fries and roasted chicken. Steak was good too, as well as dessert. Do not go for the oysters Rockefeller. Bad. At the cafe food was always good and plentiful. Lots of choices.
My little one fell asleep during the first dinner at the restaurant. I was immediately offered to put 2 chairs together and the linnens were brough in to make sheets and pillows and cover for him - truly touching!
A lot of creaking in the cabin during rough seas - couldn't sleep all night! You have to request toiletries to be brought to your room if you wish to see hair conditioner in the bathroom... Otherwise, very nice and clean accomodations... the little couch unfolded to make a queen bed for my 2 boys and mine was very comfortable as well. Really liked the heavy curtain ceparating my bed from the couch/TV area - this allowed me to read while the boys slept...
The evening theater shows were pretty bad... otherwise the music around the ship was good.
Wish we stayed there for the entire 3 days. A lot to explore. Loved that port. Took the kids to the Atlantis and had a great time. Just with that there was more time allowed.
Port Canaveral, Florida
I did not care for that stop... but we had a great time at the pool!
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
My older son loved the high enflatable slide set up on the island, however it was time consuming to get back onto the ship.