Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Family Xmas Cruise 08

Sail Date: December 21, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ship is beautiful and the staterooms are very clean. This ship is a fun place for children and teens. The Jewel does an excellent job on children activities. The shows at the theatres and lounges were excellent, however this was a Christmas cruise and I dont know if the entertainment was special for the Holiday. If you have never been on a cruise before NCL is an excellent first choice. If you have been on other cruise lines you may be somewhat disappointed. My parent, who cruise 2 or 3 times a year, said this was their first and last NCL cruise.
Cons: Freestyle cruise only has to do with dining arrangements. There are only 4 free restaurants and the menu is almost the same everyday (ice cream may be different or one new entree.) Therefore, to get variety you have to go to one of the 8 pay restaurants. The price can be costly especially when you add on excursions, pictures, and drinks. The paid restaurants are an added cost you dont have on other cruise ships. Finally, the service is poor because in freestyle there is no incentive for the cruise staff to give good service. The gratuity is added on to your bill regardless of how good or bad the service. For example, when I went to the front desk, the staff didnt know how to separate the bill by each person in the room; I always had to wait for a supervisor. Another example, I thought my soap dispenser in my cabin was broken and finally after 2 days on the ship I ask the room steward to check it. I was there when he checked it, the dispenser was empty, he had never filled it before we checked in. The quality of service was the number one complaint of the passengers I talked to. My brother talked to a passenger that stopped him in the hall. This passenger was in the Garden suites for a double cruise (Xmas & New Year) and he was very upset about the cruise and started complaining about the service and food.

Pros: Beautiful Ship

Cons: Poor Food and Service

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? No.