Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Think Twice Before Sailing on the Jewel

Sail Date: August 01, 2007

As a seasoned cruiser, and a Latitude member of NCL's, we were deeply disappointed in our cruise on the Jewel. The ship's staff were surly and rude, rarely did any of them smile.

The food was the worse I have ever encountered on any vacation, anywhere, any time. Folks who didn't make it to the main dining room by 5:45 PM were stuck on long lines and then to add insult to injury were given beepers! Trying to eat any meal in the buffet room was even worse. There was insufficient seating, no trays to carry one's food, and the staff did not clear off the tables as people left so that other's could sit down.

I was not impressed by the ship's decor. Personally I found it to be very tacky. It might be appropriate for cruising the Caribbean, but it fell flat for Europe.

Unfortunately for us we sailed to Greece, Turkey and Egypt in September 2006, during Ramadan. With this being a Holy month in this part of the world it was nearly impossible to tour anything in Istanbul. Because we have been there before it wasn't quite so bad for us but I really felt badly for folks for whom this was their first and maybe only trip to a very beautiful city. I think if NCL had had the courtesy to inform passengers prior to booking that this was Ramadan, many of us would have chosen not to take the trip.

Would we travel on NCL again? Most likely yes, but never again on the Jewel.

Pros: The Itinerary

Cons: Nearly everything.

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? No.