Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Absolutely the worst vacation

Sail Date: September 01, 2006

A full 238 people got onto the boat without their baggage, and while some was the fault of the airlines, however after questioning, some baggage was left at the airport by people (although they wore NCL uniforms and passed out NCL paperwork) who, "didn't work for NCL" (direct quote from the desk manager of the Norwegian Jewel). My baggage arrived in time for me to go get it at the Airport, however I was ensured that it would arrive since it was accounted for by the people at the airport, five hours later the boat left without my baggage, whereby I was told it would catch up to me at the next port, which it didn't, in fact, it never did and has never been seen again. NCL took no responsibility for their people who were shoving people into busses at the airport only to make them wait for hours in the baking sun, without their baggage. I watched the bus pull away from the airport with bags of the people on the bus sitting on the side of the road outside the airport, with, "i t will meet you at the ship" from the NCL staff. Not likely. After the ship left without my bags, I was given a $50 gift certificate to go to the "Galleria" in order to get things I may need onboard the ship. After paying $62 for shaving cream (the only available was a "Zirh" travel bag), and no clothes. The only pants available were 26" waist and 42" waist, nothing in between, and that goes for shorts as well, not to mention they were $75 each. There were no toiletries for sale except for shampoo, no sunscreen, deodorant, toothpaste, nothing, however there was a whole lot of emerald jewelry they tried to push on you. The excursion staff also was very disorganized with the staff sending people out without their passports, and the tours having to stop and wait for all of them to go back and get them. The "art auction" was a thinly veiled way of separating people who don't know much about art or auctions (I am someone who is expert at both) from their money, an absolute ripoff, by a used car salesman trying to tell people about art as they bought highly overpriced garbage from very dubious artists. Tours were very overpriced for what you got, which was mostly a way to get you into touristy shops the tour guides got a kickback for. The mandatory tipping was never told to us up front, and I had to fill out special paperwork to have it removed from my bill. 10% for any and all purchases or services, to include refilling your in room bar, laundry, drinks in the open pool area, any meals, purchases at the Galleria to include jewelry, etc. There is also a $10 per person per day Tip fee added to your bill, a little math shows this is a gross profit of $250,000 to the cruise line alone. Outrageous.

Pros: The Ship itself being new was quite nice

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? No.