Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Sail Date: April 01, 2006

This is a beautiful new ship with a large variety of aesthetically pleasing bars and restaurants. Our inside cabin room was decorated nicely and the balcony rooms from what I could see were beautiful. The pool area was very crowded and it was difficult to find a quiet area to sit on deck. It would be nice if one area of the promenade deck was set aside for non-smoking. Very disturbing was the Immigration procedure for which announcements began at 7:30 AM. The announcements continued every 15 minutes because many people ignored the procedure. I was unable to go back to sleep after walking through the line because they put the PA system on in the cabins. Two days later, I was also awakened by the PA because they couldn't go into their special island due to high winds. The captain, then the cruise director 'apologized' for this every 15 minutes. VERY ANNOYING!!!!

Pros: Free style dining; Great shows!

Cons: Difficult to relax with the constant announcements; too much emphasis and fear raised about Norwalk virus; Limited non-smoking areas on the deck; Buffet was redundant; Restaurant service slow; Difficult to make restaurant reservations; Immigration procedure in early morning was annoying.

Occasionally found public restrooms to be in need of more frequent cleaning. Considering all of the warnings about the Norwalk Virus, they ought to consider providing toilet seat covers in the public restrooms.
Many of the specialty restaurants were difficult to get into. Unless you are a 'VIP' or have the knowledge to make your dining reservations for the entire week when you first get onboard, you will have a very limited selection of availability. Some of the specialty restaurants were understaffed and service took a Looooong time!!! The buffet was nice in the beginning, but after a while it got redundant. They could have done more with the presentation.
Staff members seemed polite and professional, but did not go overboard (no pun intended).There was an incident during which there was a 'crew' fire drill. I happened to sitting on the promenade deck and was eventually told to leave the area by a crew member. When I went inside all of the fire doors were closed and I was caught in a room. It took awhile before someone helped me get through the fire doors. I was a bit panicked, and even so, the staff members were focused on the drill.
Good entertainment and some 'fun' game activities. Not enough 'free' activities such as movies. My husband (an expert scuba diver) was so excited to be able to sign up for a dive after many years of living in the desert. He filled out all the forms, and after waiting on a long line, was told he couldn't go because he hadn't taken a dive in the last year.
Nice decor, but we did get cabin fever! Would like to suggest that they have an option to turn off speakers in the cabins. Many mornings I wished to sleep in but was unable because of early morning announcements regarding activities, shopping, etc.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
The high winds prevented us from getting to the 'private' island. Our friends who have taken this cruise several times said that they are frequently unable to visit this island due to weather.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Went to old San Juan- very pretty, but could have skipped this port.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
St. John's, Antigua
Very pretty coming into this port....some nice shops!