a very average cruise

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Sail Date: January 01, 2010
Ship: Norwegian Jewel
It was not the cruise I expected - no formal nights, no formal dining room seating. I guess most passengers knew the NCL and expected it. My fault. I didn't do my research beforehand.
What surprised me was the fact the such informality extended to the cleanliness of my cabin and the dining areas. The cabin was simply dusty to the extend that the washcloth I used to swipe the shelves turned black. And that AFTER I summoned cabin boy and asked him to dust the shelves. The servers in the dining areas did the same poor job swiping tables and cleaning after previous users. My requests to bring water to my table were usually ignored.
The scenery and the beautiful weather compensated somewhat for the shortcomings of the service, but not to the extend that I would consider NCL ever again.

There were only two restaurants that didn't require additional fees. The waiting time to be seated and to be served both were unacceptable. Me and my companion were forced to use the cafeteria after two attempts to dine in restaurants. The food was pretty good, but the desserts simple screamed, "Cost cutting!" Mostly it was Jell-o or prepackaged custards. Usually I enjoy my coffee on a cruise, but most of the time it was tepid and tasteless, too.

The staff was not well trained. Three of us all noticed the same trend - the servers would walk right "through" you, forcing or bullying you to step aside. The desserts we ordered in two restaurants were not delivered, the water in bars would be promised but not delivered...

The ship layout required closing some elevators during the disembarkation. The staff was kind enough on a couple occasions to call for me a special assistance since my knees are injured. on other occasions I was forced to use the stairways, and injured my knees even further. Another reason not to book the NCL cruises again.

The stateroom was of a comfortable size with comfortable beds. It is cleanliness that was lacking. Our cabin boy was making a mess even of the towel sculptures! He would simply twist the towel and drop it on one bed. No chocolate or mint on your pillow, no fancily folded nightgown, either ))

Pros: itinerary

Cons: inept staff

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? No.