Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Just a great Time on the Jewel

Sail Date: December 16, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

NCL does have a penchant for the details and cleanliness. Their Jewel Class ships have a lot of detail and color and amazingly the Jewel seemed to look like in "brand new" condition. We had traveled on NCL's Norwegian Peal in 2006 and you can't help but compare the Jewel to the NCL Pearl. The quality is the same. There are a few amenities missing from the Jewel that are on the Pearl (ie. No couches at poolside, No bowling alley) but aside from that the ships are practically identical.

Pros: Free Style Cruising

Cons: Liquor Prices, Cabin beds a bit hard (need softer matresses on the Jewel NCL!)

Recommends Norwegian Jewel? Yes!

Since we traveled on the NCL Pearl last year which is a newer but identical ship to the Jewel, we couldn't help but notice some subtle difference in the dining menu's between the NCL Jewel and the NCL Pearl. It would seem the NCL Pearl stepped it up a bit at times. For instance how is it that the main Italian restaurant did not have Carpacio on the menu like on the Pearl? We both felt that the appetizers seemed to be a tad bit lesser of a selection on the Jewel than what we experienced on the Pearl a year earlier. Nonetheless we still loved the food!
First of all, the only reason I did not put execellent on the stateroom category is primarily because of the somewhat hard matresses we experienced on the Jewel. I didn't discuss it with other passengers so I'm not sure if it was just our cabin. We had the deck 11 inside cabin 11521 which slept 4 and for some reason we all complained of our backs aching from the hard sleep. This was something we did not experience a year earlier on the Pearl. Don't get me wrong we totally enjoyed ourselves on the Jewel but felt the beds could have been softer.
Nothing but Kudos to the NCL crew. I still feel like a king with servants when I step aboard their ships.
NCL has something to do for everyone at almost every hour of the day it seems. The best part is the freestyle cruising and dining. If you like you do! If you don't like then just sit back relax and take the cruise your way at your pace!
NCL keeps your kid busy and maintains an extremely welcome and fun attitude with your kids. Our two kids took advantage of the Kids Club and took the soda package as well.
I'll say this. NCL just knows what they're doing. The ambience on their ships are simply plush and clean, plush and clean, plush and clean. It's a pleasure to be on their ships.
Cozumel has a somewhat feel good atmosphere. A few corona's at Margaritaville and you won't want to leave. The Mini Jeep tour at Cozumel offered by NCL is a must. This was an unexpected delight. This tour included souped up ATV's that really kick A$$! My wife took one child and I drow with the other. They're, fun, fast, open and are built for getting over turrain. We had a complete blast and it made us feel in much control of our excursion. I highly recommend this tour. It does take you to a secluded beach for snorkling and hammock relaxing and the guides were fun and hilarious mexican style.
Don't Miss: Mini Jeep tour offered by NCL
George Town, Grand Cayman
As you might have guessed, a port that's a bit pricy. 9 Ships pulled into port that day we were there (That's like 10000 people!) . The town was overloaded and you could not walk comfortably on the sidewalk due to the crowds in the morning. As ships left it was more enjoyable. Take the NCL Ray's and Reef tour. Swimming with Stingrays is a must do!
Don't Miss: Ray's and Reef Tour by NCL