Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

A nice and clean cruise ship

Sail Date: May 14, 2006

This was the second time cruising with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I upgraded to a balcony stateroom which was awesome. The only downfall were some restaurants were booked solid. My advice would be to make reservations at the beginning of the week for the entire week. Alot of private parties were booked - did not like that. The overall cruise was smooth, clean and staff members were very nice. The only regret is that I would want the cruise ship to spend more time in Rome, Italy.

Pros: I particularly would visit Rome again. There is alot to see in Rome. Unfortunately, there was not enough time. Instead of the cruise ship pulling into Messina, I would suggest they spend more time in Rome and omit Messina from the list of ports.

Cons: I did not care for Messina and the port of Naples. The only thing I found interesting in Naples was Pompeii. You definitely should do a tour of Pompeii with a tour guide for detailed information.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of private parties booking certain bars for a certain time frame. Very frustrating when my husband and I would try to make plans and meet friends at the bars that we preferred only to come across a private party function. It happened more than once on several different nights. I found that to be unfair.
This time around we upgraded to a balcony. I found that to be very nice and the balcony added an additional option to us. It was nice for my husband especially. He loves the ocean and to sit down and take the view in while waiting for me to get ready was an added bonus to him. I recommend it if you can afford it.
Unfortunately, the personnel on the dock of Barcelona, Spain when the cruise had ended were very unhelpful. My husband and I had placed the color tags on our luggages only to find that one of our luggages were placed somewhere else. When we asked for help they only gave us the option to fill out a claim. No one tried looking for it but luckily I found my luggage which had the purple tag with the luggages that had the red tags. Very frustrating.
Messina, Sicily
Would omit Messina from the list of ports to see.
Don't Miss: There was none in my opinion
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
Alot of souvenir shops at Pisa next to the tour. I wish I could have visited Florence. In my opinion, I wish the cruise ship could stop at Rome, Pisa and France and that's it.
Don't Miss: Pisa's leaning tower.
Villefranche-Sur-Mer, France
Very clean at Monacco. Took a train and was at Monacca about twenty minutes later. More time needed. Did not find a lot to see but the Grand Prix was happening while we were there.
Don't Miss: I don't know because I did not get a chance to research what was important about the port.
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
More time needed in Rome. A lot to see but not enough time spent there. Rome is an hour and half away from the port.
Don't Miss: Vatican, Colessium & Pantheon
Naples, Italy
Very loud city with nothing to do
Don't Miss: Must see Pompeii