Norwegian Jade Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Great Experience

Sail Date: June 01, 2012

We just returned from the Mediterranean itinerary (June 2012) and left from Venice on a back to back cruise (15 day cruise). Out of all the other cruises we have taken this by far had the best food. (We have been on a few Carnival cruises, Princess Cruise and Royal Caribbean cruise lines) For example, the fresh pineapple tasted just like Hawaii, the meats ...my husband loved his steak!
The shopping on the ship was less than desirable for me as an AVID cruise ship shopper. Mostly items you can find in typical mall and some jewelry lines from large city malls only.
If this is your first time to Italy and Mediterranean and you love to shop, pay attention!...IF you see something you like, get it for you won't likely find it (at least I haven't and I live in Las Vegas) in the states. For example, my husband purchased a Byzantine jewelry piece for me and I have spent hours online and went to the local major casino's and found non it's equal...not even close.
I enjoy a good negotiation for prices and believe me, don't expect much if any during your journey. I don't know if it's previous cruisers who ruined it for everyone else or what the case but, never hurts to try. ;-)
I have to wonder if the water is that incredibly smooth during this time of year. It was ASTOUNDING...never seen water so incredibly smooth. Best description was picture the most luscious smooth silk you have ever seen, now drape it on your bed with a hint of ripple and no joke, that is how beautiful the water was. Later in the trip it was slightly choppy looking but appeared mostly from the wind. Only for a couple hours one evening was the first time we ever felt any sway like feeling, other than that you never knew you were on a ship so to speak.
If you have kids (my sister brought her "tween" daughter) and they loved the pool. Interestingly enough, we don't have kids and really didn't see very many. In fact, tho the ship was full of people I often wondered where in the world they were!
As far as smoking goes, as an American I am not used to being around it and was a bit concerned when I found out they do allow it on this ship in certain areas. Turns out there is only 2 places to smoke, the casino and on deck 12 on the port side. (PLEASE SEE COMMENT ON STATEROOM QUALITY: A MUST!)

Pros: The food!

Cons: Customer Service

Recommends Norwegian Jade? Yes!

Very inconsistent from one person to the next for level of service and knowledge. Example, someone at front desk wouldn't know the answer and just say, "I don't know" without offering to find someone who does. Where another staff member does. Wait staff friendly but not upbeat. Guest service and shore excursion people not real friendly.

Dining room- Generally the only time you will see your wait staff is for taking your order and serving your food. Plan to wave down a server for refills, more butter/bread or if your food is served cold. I rate it the best food quality from all the cruise lines we have ever taken and this is the consensus of various age groups (of Americans) from 30's to 60 years of age. (Who have also lived in Europe as well).
Shower was good size in the inside state room and the balcony room. It just happens that our room (the only room) on our floor (if you look at the staterooms) so if you stay in ROOM 10581 you most likely will be sitting sideways on your toilet since they have it facing the wall no matter how small or big you are. The rest of the cabins are normal. So just note that room only on that floor.

Bed- We had no trouble sleeping.

Shower- Hand held shower, good water pressure and temp variation.
For was much better than expected! We believe it's the best from all the cruises we had ever been on.
It is Hawaiian theme throughout.