Christmas at Sea

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Getaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 22, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Getaway

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 9230

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

We had a great time because it was a large group and the holidays. My children enjoyed themselves and we spent quality time together. We will sail Norwegian again, though likely not this particular ship. They really need to work on improving the staff quality and re-evaluate their private island setup.

Embarkation

Embarkation was good, the problem we had was with the screening process. We sail a couple of times a year and it was clear that the screener we happened to get was on a power trip. She made us check my husbands cigar cutter, lighter and extension cord for his CPAP machine. I tried to explain to her that we carry all of these items on ever ship. That even the cord is approved because it is not tattered, nor was it a surge protector. In order to not delay our boarding any longer, I turned the items over, got my claim check and told her she was wrong. All confiscated items are stored on the ship until it returns to port. I was able to get all of the items she made me check back that evening from guest services. They didn't even understand her logic.

Ship experiences

Teppanyaki and Cagney's was exceptional. Moderno left much to be desired. The main dining room was pretty good but service was very slow. The buffet was good but the selection never changed and that was a disappointment.

Teppanyaki

So much fun! The food was amazing and the staff top notch!

Sugarcane Mojito Bar

This was our spot!! From boarding to the last night, we were never disappointed here. Jinu and the crew were the best!

O'Sheehan's Neighborhood Bar and Grille

Best wings on the ship. Spent many late nights here.

Moderno Churrascaria

Considering they can't cook over an open flame it was decent. But we eat at this style of restaurant often and weren't that impressed. The meat was not hot and the service was slow. The salad bar was excellent though.

Ice Bar

The bartender from Russia made this experience even better. We loved it!! Go with a group.

Garden Café

Same options everyday. I get that breakfast is pretty standard. But lunch NEVER changed.

Dolce Gelato

My ice cream loving family enjoyed this.

Carlo's Bake Shop

Delicious options of baked goods.

Cagney's Steakhouse

Perfection!

My kids had a blast at the pool, water slides, rock wall and ropes course.

Tradewinds Tax & Duty-Free

Selection was poor.

Ropes Course

Kids loved it!

Climbing Wall

Kids did it 3 times!

Cirque Dreams & Steam

The food was delicious and the service really good. The show was fantastic. My kids absolutely loved it.

Burn the Floor

This show was absolutely amazing!! It was clear the commitment that the performers had to their craft.

My 10 yr old was neutral. He really only enjoyed when they went to the sports deck. My year old said it was cool but she had a friend that was onboard as well. Neither went back after day 2.

The service left so much to be desired. The service was sooooo slow in the main dining rooms. In Moderno, there clearly was not enough staff to rotate around with the meat selections. My room steward did the bare minimum. He never brought ice or even asked if we needed it. I used the coffee supplies and he didn't restock them. Fortunately our friends only drink decaf so we traded. I brought more half and half down from the buffet. The last night he knocked on the door to "see if we needed anything else for the evening," which I know was his way of hovering for an extra tip over the pre-paid gratuities. But he hadn't done anything extraordinary to deserve one. The buffet staff was good. I would talk about the pool area staff but there wasn't any. We had to go to the bar for all drinks as there were no servers circulating.

Everything was beautiful however, the casino location is the worst and that's what keeps me from giving a 5. The casino occupies the middle section of deck 7 so you have to walk through it to get anywhere on that deck. And since smoking is still allowed, the scent lingers. They clearly have some decent vents because the smell pretty much stays on 7, but it is a poor design.

Our cabin was great for the 4 of us. We really enjoyed the spaciousness of it and the bathroom. The balcony is small but having cruised on other NCL ships, I knew this would be the case. The bed was super comfortable.

Ports of call

New Orleans, Louisiana

We visit NOLA often so we already knew what to expect here.

We also visit this port often. We now just get off the ship to go to our favorite store and then have a pool day back onboard.

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

We have a local shanty bar that we visit when we come here. The shops around the port are nice and it's clear they are investing in the infrastructure since more ships are coming in. I appreciated that even once on the local streets, approved workers are easy to identify due to wearing an ID.

Harvest Caye, Belize

Decent beach. Kids had fun and the moms were able to relax. However, having to pay for food and drinks is not a bonus especially since you cannot charge it back to your cabin. You can charge rentals and excursions to your cabin. For us, having to pay for food and drinks after spending thousands on a Christmas trip, is just poor form. We have visited many cruise line private islands and didn't have to do this. I don't ever have to go back to Harvest Cay. The beach wasn't even that great. Again, kids had a great time and that was most important to me.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

We've been here before. It was a short stop but long enough for us to get off and get some food. I was over the buffet on the ship since it was always the same. Next time I will get off earlier and get some spa time in.

Disembarkation

It was a bit of a line to get off but it constantly moved. Luggage was organized well to be easily claimed and customs was a breeze.

Traveler Photos