Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Never Again

Sail Date: August 01, 2014

Imagine my surprise: Norwegian is as bad as Carnival.

I booked this cruise because I wanted a convenient fun quick vacation the week of Labor Day. School will be back\, no kids! Norwegian was affordable - everyone in my party can get our own balcony cabin! And we all live minutes from the port in Manhattan. How convenient! This would be a great getaway!

I can't very well post a review based on the guests: their unruly children and their own shameless behavior aside. (I have never been on a cruise where adults were screaming at each other in the MDR\, oblivious of their foul language or their own children at their table.) But I can be more specific within the guidelines listed below. oh!! And smoking?! Smoking is allowed on the balconies and in the casino. It's 2014 - smoking should not be allowed anywhere. This\, alone\, is reason enough to not cruise on Norwegian. (Or reason TO cruise?)
I love to cruise. I really love it. So this trip was a disappointment. But everyone has their own standards and their own tastes. So Norwegian isn't for me and I won't be back. But there were lots of people having fun - minus the gang of fighting teenagers that had to be broken up by ship officers.

Live and learn\, right?

Pros: convenience to Manhattan

Cons: most of it

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.

Ship: The ship is tired and dirty. Gooey fingerprints on the chairs in the buffet; tattered furniture in the public areas; food and beverages spilled on the stairways; barbecued ribs and corn cobs littered by the pool; plates of half-eaten chicken wings left in the hallways. Terrible. A real disgrace. Complete lack of courtesy and respect for property and surroundings.
Food: Inedible. Tasteless\, gelatinous\, and cold. Buffet or Main Dining Room. Didn't matter. But plates were piled high; so my party must be in the minority on this ...
Cabin: Tiny. Eight by fifteen at best. Thank goodness I booked alone ... two people? No way. And I was in a \"family balcony\" cabin. Bathroom: couldn't fit in the tiny area where the toilet was\, ditto the shower. Bed was okay; but pillows were cardboard. Tiny little TV. Tiny little balcony. Tiny little sofa that felt like plywood covered in bright blue damask.
Staff: Terrific. Every one of them. They were smiling and congenial and eager to assist. They must really have tremendous patience\, the way I saw some of them treated.