Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

great cruise

Sail Date: November 01, 2013

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

This was one of our best vacations ever. My wife and I have cruised before\, but it was the first time for our daughter. She is 10 years old\, and after countless and I mean countless trips to Disney we need a Mickey break. So we booked The Norwegian Gem\, we got a fantastic price and my wife hates to fly. Leaving out of New York is easy because we live in South Jersey. Embarkation was so easy\, before you know it\, you are on the ship. I followed a reviewer's advice\, and went to the Grand Pacific instead of fighting for a seat at buffet. I am only going to complain two little times during this review\, so dont take this as anything bad. We waited forever for our food\, I guess they had new staff and this is where they let them try to serve. We also ate dinner there too (First night\, surf and Turf)\, very small portions\, cold\, and no drawn butter\, (but\, as you know\,you can order as many meals as you like) We were not fans of the Grand Pacific\, never ate there again. We mainly ate breakfast in the Garden caf. Second tiny complaint\, fix the toasters!!! Okay got that off my chest. Here is a secret\, a real hidden \"Gem\" is the outside seating in the Garden cafe. There are coffee stations and the same food without the fight of the main buffet line. Before 9:00am\, it easy to find a seat with a million dollar view. Did not really eat lunch\, my daughter loved the hot dogs and the burgers we excellent. The poolside barbeques had phenomenal food. Magenta was good\, the waiter was so funny and made our dinner entertaining. We ate at all of the specialty restaurants. La Cucina was good-very good. The Brazilian restaurant was excellent. Le bistro was excellent. Cagneys was excellent. Tapenyaki was beyond excellent\, so good and entertaining. Besides our first day at Grand Pacific\, food was very good BTW others Loved the Grand Pacific so maybe we did not give it a chance.

We stayed in a mini suite on the 11th floor next to the bridge. It was very clean\, quiet an

Pros: Spotless ship!!!! Food at the specialty restaurants. The Great outdoors cafe.The itinerary. Cabin steward Gabriel. Kids club.

Cons: The Grand Pacific dining room\, Pizza from Room service did not mind the $5.00 charge\, but the pizza was horrible. Its sad because in the buffet and in La cucina the pizza was a lot better

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!