Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Nothing free about this freestyle Cruise

Sail Date: July 01, 2013

When we entered the Norwegian Gem, we first stopped at the Pacific Dining room for lunch, which turned out to be a big disappointment. I ordered an olive 'tartar' which turned out to be a dip with half a pita cut into 4 triangles and as a main course, the steak with fries, the steak had no flavor (no seasoning added) and the fries were covered in steak grease, absolutely disgusting (I hate to say this about food, but there was no other way of describing it). My husband had a Fettuccine Alfredo pasta, again with no seasoning, and to his surprise, no cheese! It was only heavy cream with no taste! However, he is forgiving, as he is Italian and doesn't expect great pasta outside of Italy.

Then we finally arrived to our tiny stateroom. I must say I expected it to be small from the reviews of other travelers, and that didn't really bother me as I figured I would not spend much time in my stateroom. I was wrong. The bathroom made a loud blowing noise, which made it difficult to sleep, and the water pressure of the sink was very low, making it difficult to wash. Also, my husband didnt receive his luggage until the evening, so we couldnt change our clothes.

We then went out to check out the ship. We were curious about the pools and seeing where we would be having fun for the rest of the week. We found the first pool, which was for children, and the second and as it turns out, the ONLY pool for adults. It had children in it who were splashing adults and swimming in a dangerously deep pool with no lifeguards. Not a very nice situation, but we continued exploring and looking for the other pools that most cruise ships have. We didnt find any, because there was only 1 pool on the entire ship, 1 pool for over 3000 guests!

My husband and I tried not to let this bother us, and went out to explore the ship. We were very excited, as this was our wedding anniversary gift and we hadn't been on a cruise since 2005 where we first met each other. We saved up the

Pros: Evening Shows

Cons: Only 1 Pool for 3000+adults

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.

Only 1 pool for over 'adults', with kids going inside periodically
"Freestyle" means 10 restaurants you have to pay for and 2 that you don't and can dine until 9:30PM
Some staff were genuinely good people. Overworked and underpaid, but very friendly staff. They are not to blame for the poor quality cruise ship.
Evening shows were excellent and varied. They included acrobats and comedians who were actually funny. This was the best part of the cruise, but still not worth $1500+.
It seemed that this ship was created for the sole purpose of entertaining kids, from activities to events. If you have kids rest assured, they will have fun. But then again kid have fun on any vacation.