Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Great Cruise but...

Sail Date: February 01, 2012

the ship was very nice with the acceptions below:
- There was a lot of smoking on the ship, especially in the casino and apparently on the balconies that drifted to our balcony and into our room, restricting my use of both.
- The main deck with the swimming pools was very slippery while a non-slip surface would have made it much safer.
- The food descriptions in the buffet area could have been more specific to include ingredients especially those that are common allergens for some people like lemon, lime, orange, peppers, etc. There were only a few signs saying certain items may contain nuts or been prepared on equipment that may have been exposed to nuts - but not which nuts specifically.
- The lines for embarking and disembarking were very long.
- The instructions upon disembarking in NY for getting picked up were very unhelpful. They herded us to street level, but neglected to tell us there was no pickup on the street level with no obvious way to get to the upper level where you could get picked up, no signs, just angry security who assumed you knew the procedures without them having to tell us.

Pros: overall the cruise was great. Food was great for the most part. Activities were plentiful.

Cons: I couldn't use the casino because of the heavy smoke. I couldn't use my balcony because of the smoke as well.

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

The food was plenteous, but not of the highest quality. The taste was good, but there wasn't as much variety as I would have liked and I couldn't have most of the fish because of a lemon allergy.
Small as expected but workable. The conditions were good and steward was available when needed. Smoking made balcony less usable than desired.
The ship was huge. You certainly got in walking exercise just getting where you wanted to go. The layout was a little difficult to get used to, but once you figured out the signs and maps it got easier.