Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Waste of Money

Sail Date: April 16, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Room Type: Suite

The pool area on the ship were very small and the pools were salt water. The slide was small and not pitched enough to get any speed at all. My 8-year old thought it was 'cheap'. An adult was not able to even slide down the took alot of effort. I felt like I was always paying for extras.

Pros: The ship's decor was brightly colored

Cons: The food was awful!

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.

My son didn't care for them very much. No beepers were given if the kids wanted to leave, so they had no way to reach you. Area was small and looked like a preschool even though it was for children up to 12 years old.
The ship was smaller than others that I have been on, but it was clean. You often had to walk through one lounge or food area to get to another part of the ship.
Nice room. Mini-suite was not worth the price paid because it came with no extras even though they were promised. Total rip off.
The room steward was great as were the folks on the bar staff. The waiters and waitresses were AWFUL. We were never offered a drink prior to ordering our dinner. If my son ordered off the kids menu, he was served his dinner before we even saw our appetizers.
Mostly boring. There was one guitar guy in the lounges that was awesome, and the shows by Second City were Wonderful. The rest was garbage.
Awful. To get variety, we tried many of the restaurants where you had to pay a premium, however, premium service was not part of the package. $25 premium on a Disney cruise gets you food options and service that is unparallelled and never forgotten. $25 at the Steakhouse gets you a nice steak with no extras. I paid an addtional $10 premium to get surf and turf, which was a nice small steak and an overcooked lobster tail. When I paid $15 for the Chinese restaurant I also paid the $10 extra premium for lobster. The waitress covered me with sauce trying to get the lobster out of the shell, and it took me 1 hour and 15 minuts to get my entree. The vegetables were inedible.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
Very similar to any other private island on a cruise ship.
Don't Miss: My son enjoyed the Hippo Slide -- Extra $20 bucks for an all day ride.
Port Canaveral, Florida
NASA Up Close -- We had a great time. Needed a little more time to see some of the IMAX movies available.