Cruise was Good but Not Great

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean

Sail Date: February 01, 2011
I previously sailed on the Norwegian Spirit and I found that to be far Superior than the Gem. The Gem was very dark and gloomy as stated in an earlier review. The overall traffic pattern on the ship was not planned out well, lots of dead ends, never felt comfortable with the flow. I expected this ship to have more of a "Grand" decor being that it was a newer ship so I was extremely disappointed.
The buffet was way over crowded. Definately not enough seating. It felt like you had to walk extremely far away from the food to find a seat. Did not find the food at the Blue Lagoon appealing. I would have thought that they would have offered items on the menu that you could not get at the buffet. On the Spirit they had spinach and artichoke dip, wonton soup, different sandwiches... something different. The main dining room was beautiful but it felt like the staff frowned upon couples whom wanted to sit by themselves. They always tried to insist on "sharing". If you chose to wait it seems like it took forever to be seated. If I wanted to be seated as a group I would not be "free styling".

The shows at the theatre were great, however, it seemed like everything else such as Bowling, Bingo, Air Hockey etc all cost extra $$$.

Again... dark and gloomy. I expected to see brighter colors and a grander atrium

Balcony Room smaller than photo indicated on Norwegian Cruise Line website

Pros: Friendly Staff

Cons: Decor, crowded dinning areas, everything cost $$$ on the ship

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.