Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Awesome time!!!

Sail Date: January 01, 2011

Overall impression HIGHLY favorable. As a family of four, we had a great time. Unlike some cruises, we did more things together (mostly because the teen program was not promoted properly), but I find positives in this, even though my son was bored during the sea days (see detailed comment below).

Pros: Clean, new and well-equipped with lots to do

Cons: Not enough seating either out at the pool or during busy times in the buffet.

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

we had an oceanview stateroom and it was laid out well, beds were comfortable, everything worked, annoying lack of channels on TV in stateroom.
Staff was amazing! One waiter always remembered what my family of four ordered and would bring it to us before we even asked.
Cudos to Cruise Director for asking the Hypnotist to do an encor performance....he was hysterical.
This was my only complaint. The marketing staff needs to create a greater distinction between the "little kids" program in the "Tree Top Center" and the "teen" program. My 16 year old son would not even go up there to register and meet other kids in the 13-17 year old range because the "tree top center" is embarassing to a teenager. They need to stress the "Leopard lounge" schedule and opportunities in the Freestyle Daily and not lump teen activities in with preschool activities. This ship really dropped the ball when it comes to attention on the teenage demographic. Boo!!!!
Specialty restaurants were excellent. Free food was good...not a huge variety.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Hilltop ocean views to die for....if the bus driver doesn't kill you first. Did not appreciate the entrance fee to Megan's Bay Beach when it was standing room only (there were 7 cruise ships in port at St. thomas when we were there).
Don't Miss: Para-sailing
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Annoyed by false advertisement for "water sports" at the Belair hotel. Paid $40 in taxi fees to get there and back only to find "no water sports offered". Boo! Rented a car and saw the hole island. Highly recommend this option.
Don't Miss: So much to do on St. Maarten it's hard to say.
St. John's, Antigua
Love Antigua. Have been here before. People are friendly and welcoming to tourists. Watch out for the Antigua SUN!!!! SPF 1000
Don't Miss: View from Shirley Heights not to be missed.
Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.
People were UNFRIENDLY in Tortola. We only had a few hours so we just decided to walk around the town. Passed many local folks and greeted them without a single reply from anyone. Lady working in tourist shop near the port yelled at my son for absolutely nothing. Strange welcome.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Walk old San Juan. If you like will love it here! I took lots of pictures of colorful balconies, steeples and doorways. Very pretty.