Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Don't Cruise Norwegian!

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

I was a recent passenger on the Norwegian Gem, embarking out of New York City 26 December 2009 and disembarking 2 January 2010. I was traveling with my boyfriend, brother, and two friends for the holidays; this was our first time cruising with Norwegian Cruise line. We were very excited to try Norwegian Cruise lines for the holiday season and experience Freestyle Cruising. What we were not anticipating was the freestyle treatment we received from the onboard staff. At no time during our booking did we anticipate the horrible and completely unexpected rude treatment that we received during the entire trip.
From the first day of the cruise until we disembarked, the treatment we received was extremely disheartening. After what we paid to cruise, especially at the heightened price to cruise during the holidays, we expected to feel catered to. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Our excitement to cruise was met first by rudeness. We dined in the main dining room every night, but our first and last night, for dinner, and our last night we paid $10 extra per person to dine in the Italian Restaurant; cost us $50.00 total for our group. At both restaurants the wait staff was very rude. It was 25 min before a waiter even came over to greet us and ask if we would like a drink. When we ordered drinks, they were slammed down in front of us, causing drinks to splash all over the table. Water was even spilled on our table by the server filling our glasses and we were forced to clean it up with our napkins because the server just left it and laughed! Even when we complained to the Matred , our server rudely interrupted my boyfriend while he was speaking to the Matred and stated in an extremely rude tone, Sir, your food is actually sitting right over there; Which to some may have sounded great because we were getting our food, but because we noticed that the food was delievered to the counter 20 minutes prior, we were less then appreciative. When we got the food, it was cold because it had been sitting so long. The Maitred apologized for our experience and told us that someone would be contact us in our stateroom to discuss the matter. No one ever came or contacted us the entire time on the ship to discuss our experiences and concerns. Not to mention I think it is extremely ridiculous that after paying thousands of dollars to cruise, we have to pay an additional cost to dine!
When we dined at the italian restaurant we never even met or saw our waiter. The food runner was the only person that ever waited on us, and that was after no one came to greet us or ask if we wanted drinks for 30 minutes. When we dined in the buffet, we were supposed to be served by the staff at the buffet. This experience proved to be ineffective because we would wait for 15-20 minutes for someone to assist you. Meanwhile, the people who were supposed to be assisting us were seen conversing and goofing around behind the counter. When we finally got frustrated and would attempt to help ourselves, the staff would yell at us. The customer service was disgusting.
Our second night we had to get a new key card for one of our friends who had purchased the soda package. The woman who helped us at the front desk gave us a receipt for the soda package and told us to take our card and receipt over to the bar and that they would give us a new sticker. The bartender who assisted us was less then helpful. She asked for our old card and in the middle of us explaining to her that the woman at the desk only gave us the receipt, she rudely interrupted me, and said, I heard you! If I could fit more in this paragraph, I would! Dont cruise Norwegian!

Pros: The Excursions

Cons: The cruise itself

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.

Food was average... deserts were not good at all
Staff was never willing to help. Completely rude and unhelpful.
Although out stateroom attendent was nice, our room was never very clean. We had stains on our sheets the first night we went to go to bed. I pulled the covers back and there were blood stains on the sheets!