Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

An Interesting Cruise

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

30-something female with partner, travelling without children. We like well-behaved children, but often times children are running up and down halls and aisles unattended. Parents and staff alike did not abide by the posted adults only pool and hot tub policy. More than the unruly children, were the unruly parents who did not bother to reprimand their children. MId week, all of the salt and pepper shakers and all other self serve items were removed, and staff members were posted throughout the entire cruise with hand sanitizer, which was fragrant rubbing alcohol. I was actually very greatful that the self serve items were removed as many people did not have the best hygiene, but it seemed to put an extra strain on the serving staff. They were very overwhelmed and it took longer to remove plates and clear tables, etc. This was my first cruise, and we cruised over Christmas week, which was not a bright idea. I would definitely go again, but when children are at school. The private island had a few shops in a shack-like setting and had a small beach, and bar. The private island was a joke, but for me, it wasn't about the ports, it was about the cruise itself, thank goodness.

Pros: First ever cruise, loved freestyle dining, the bartender, casual dress, nightly entertaimnent shows

Cons: lots of unruly minors (but I mostly blame bad parenting), running up and down halls, hands touching everything in the buffet restaurant, and "great stirrup cay" their "private island", which was mostly deserted.

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

Children were everywhere, running down the halls, teens tried to get into the 18+ lounges, and took over the adult pools, but that is mostly a parenting and staff issue.
Buffet=ok quality, lots of variety. Grand Pacific=worth waiting to be seated, mid quality and still free. Specialty options=worth it if you don't feel like waiting.
Our stateroom was mid-ship, not a lot of walking and ideally positioned. If we were to cruise this ship again, we'd like the room again.
Much larger than I expected, and even a friend who had a balcony (we had an ocean view), said that our room was bigger. I was pleased.