Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

They Only Want to Take Your Money

Sail Date: February 01, 2009

Room Type: Suite

I am writing about our trip on the Norwegian Gem beginning on February 28, 2009.

First let me say upfront that I am a diabetic.

When we settled into our cabin, I noticed in the Lifestyles newsletter that if someone needed a SHARPS dispenser, to go to the Doctors office, see your steward or go to the front desk. I went to the front desk at 5:10pm and asked a blonde woman from Belarus for a dispenser. She asked me when I needed it. I said in about 20 minutes. She suggested that I go to my room, dial 00, which would then connect me to the front desk and THEN the front desk would send me one. I asked if I was currently at the front desk, why should I go to my room and call the front desk. She finally agreed to contact the steward and send it to my room.

On Sunday morning, I went to the Stardust Theatre to listen to the speaker concerning excursions. She didnt take any questions. The question I had was why she (or anyone at the excursion desk) didnt reveal that Universal Studios was closing earlier than usual that Monday. It was on the NCL website, so she couldnt say they didnt know. No wonder people that took the excursion were upset.

On Sunday evening, my wife and I went to the Grand Pacific restaurant. At the time we got there, we were told there was only 1 couple in front of us. We were told it would be about 20 minutes. So I took my injection. Once I take my injection, I MUST eat within 60 minutes. Well, we werent seated for 90 minutes and I got physically sick in one of your bathrooms.

I went to the front desk after dinner and asked to see the ships doctor. The people at the restaurants must understand that when they give out incorrect information, it may be hazardous to someones health. Instead they called Ana Maria Malata, the assistant Maitre D. I spoke with her about the problem and she explained that she understood as she has family members that use insulin. She was very helpful. But my wife and I were going to disembark in Port Orlando and go back to NYC. But it snowed in NYC, so we stayed on board.

On the last night of the trip, Crazy Candi, the assistant cruise director, announced a $10k BINGO prize. But it wasnt until after cards were bought that it was revealed that the $10k would only be given away within the first 46 balls and then a consolation prize (which was $564) would be given away. Whenever I went to bingo, it wasnt announced that separated BINGO would be void. Shouldnt that have been revealed in the beginning?

One last item. I notified an assistant Maitre D on our anniversary that it was our anniversary. She looked at me and said Did you arrange anything special? I said No, but I told the cruise line when I made the reservation. Why do you bother to ask if someone is celebrating a birthday or anniversary if you have no plans to do anything for them (a small cake or a complimentary glass of wine?

It took me 8 years to get my wife to travel again on Norwegian. Next time we use Royal Caribbean.

Pros: The ship was clean

Cons: The staff

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.