Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Saddest cruise I ever took!

Sail Date: November 29, 2008

The ship decor was nice, the strange bends in the hallways were a bit confusing. They had a skeleton crew, it took more than an hour to find and order a drink on deck! We waited 45 minutes in the Blue Lagoon and never even got a menu! Ordered a coffee at Java bar was ignored and never got served until I complained. Bowling cost 10$ per person a game...2.50 at home.
So many specialty restaurants taking up all room, pool table out of order, nothing to do except listen to people give speeches or play bingo, the comedy, cabarette shows were the same old thing! All the fun things to do, planned by personel were absent. No movies in the theatre, instead 11.99 to rent one in your tiny cabin. TV kept locking up and poor reception all the time. Room service menu was cut back to nothing. They sucked your money like a vaccuum at every turn except when you wanted a cocktail, then you had to hunt for a waiter or bar tender yourself. I have never been treated worse on a ship and many other passengers felt the same including first time cruisers who usually never dislike their first cruise, but they said they were bored to tears!

Pros: The ports of call and Cagney's specialty restaurant.

Cons: Poor service, unacceptable rude treatment, long waits for any service, lack of things to do!

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.

Only people that really went out of their way for any of us was our room stewards on deck 8, the medical staff and the waitress Janice at Cagney's. Every other person was rude or non-existant! We weren't the only ones complaining!
The ship was clean and I liked the decor.
The regular dining room diminished in food quality and taste tio try to force people the eat at specialty rests with 20$ per person cover charges. It defeats the everything included in your cruise. I ordered a shrimp cocktail at Magenta...I got those teeny shrimp, dry with no sauce, I ordered it at Cagney's with a 20$ cover and got super jumbo with good cocktail sauce, like you would get on any other cruiseship. I use to love NCL, I never was so disappointed in their food quality or the lack of service and attitude of employees on the ship!
There was so little to do on this ship it was unbelievable! Bingo and a variety show were scheduled everyday, a ton of stupid lectures. The movie theater never opened, the bowling was expensive, it was cold and windy so the water slide and rock climbing wall were out. Sit in you closet of a room and rent movies for 11.99 each with a terrible selection. No games, besides darts, the pool table was broken. It was horrible!
Our cabin was small as usual on a cruise, but I don't mind, we don't go on cruises to spend our time in a cabin. It was clean and the stewards were pretty good. Our TV was always locking up. The thermostat either left you freezing or sweating, never found a comfy setting.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
We had like 30 mph winds and 3 foot waves. Snorkeling was out, but they charged us excusions anyway even though we couldn't snorkel. They had a barbaque on the beach where they served pizza? Hamburger, hot dogs, no chicken, or ribs on the grill it was terrible. If it was a halfway decent day, but we went back to the ship after an hour, it was just too bad out there. When we asked, their response was: "We didn't order the weather." How rude.
Now we went to Atlantis. Lots of walking, till your feet get sore. It's huge, but if you like water slides this is a must do! Rapids, the shark tank slide, the surge, the wedgie all are awesome. A McDonalds type menu burger and fry for 3 there cost 47 dollars!
Don't Miss: Atlantis waterslides are so much fun
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Went on a snorkel excusion with a catamaran with waterslide. It was okay, but not the best snorkel excusion I've ever been on. Not a lot of info, snacks and drinks are cash and carry expensive instead of included in shore excusion price.
Don't Miss: the fish.