Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Our Vacation

Sail Date: April 01, 2008

The embarkment process was horrible. We waited in line (standing) for more than an hour. One senior citizen fell another had to be escorted to a seat because he was lightheaded. Once you were process and entered the ship you were told it was mandatory to use the hand sanitizer. You were than given a free glass of wine.

We were charged a service charge of $10 per person per day. We were told this was a mandatory charge that could be credited towards your gratuity.

Pros: Hand saniter is mandatory all before you eat or board the ship

Cons: Too many additional fees

Recommends Norwegian Gem? No.

This was my first time cruising with NCL. I'm not a fan of "Freestyle". We waited on average 40 minutes for a seat in the main dining room. When I asked if we could make reservations, I was told reservations are not available for parties of 2. The specialty resturants had to be booked in advance. All of the specialty resturants had a cover charge. Teppenyaki had a cover charge of $25 per person!
Bowling was $5 per person per game. We could not bowl often. The only movie channel was Turner Classic Movies. If you wanted to see other movies there was a charge of $11.95. The only other television stations were ESPN, SPORTS, CNN, FOX NEWS & TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES. Cartoon Network and TNT were listed but did not work until we were in close proximity to New York
The ship was beautiful and very well decorated.
I loved my stateroom. We had a balcony cabin. It was small but very good use of the space.
The staff was extremely courteous and friendly. We asked our waiter if we could request her table the next night and were informed she never waited the same tables every night. So we could not keep the waiter we liked.