6 night NCL cruise

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Escape

6 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: April 14, 2018

Ship: Norwegian Escape

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 9130

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

All in all there's not anything horrible that we could say about the NCL Cruise, but we still prefered our Carnival cruise over this one. The free dining options and main dining room on Carnival just had stand out food while NCL seem to be pushing their upcharge restaurants so they're free options were nothing to write home about. Like I said, we were never able to get into an NCL show so I can't talk about the quality of that versus the carnival, but anything had to be better than carnivals entertainment. The adult area on NCL was definitely better than carnivals.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

The food was no where as good as I expected it to be. You could definitely tell they wanted you to pay to upcharge as the food the main dining rooms were no where close to that your find on a carnival ship.

Cagney's Steakhouse

The steak was aaaaaaaaaaaamazing. But the sides we're just ok... I know, I know, it's a steak House but the sides should have been good. The starters were the best all week though.

Bayamo Restaurant

We were not impressed with this restaurant. Nothing was stand out for being an Iron Chef Restaurant. I did not think it was worth the up charge

District Brew House

Very comfortable spot to hang out but they needed a smokers deck or something. You couldn't hang out in there too long if you wanted to smoke or a cigar as the walk to nearest area was 9 flights up and the back of the boat so it's not like you could walk out and then come back to your table.

The Bake Shop

The menus NEVER matched what the actual had. All the gelato tasted the exact same but in different colors. The macrons were stale and I don't even know how to describe the cupcakes... They were the worst cupcakes in history. They tasted like they were a month old.

Food Republic

This restaurant was great! The food was amazing and fast and the service was excellent

The Manhattan Room

This room was beautiful so we hoped to eat a lot of meals in here but the food was just not what we expected. We tried a couple times just to see if it was an off night but everything lacked flavor. The presentation was gorgeous though.

Le Bistro

I thought the food was great, not a big selection of actual "French" food so that was kind of a bummer. It was more like what Americans think French food is.

The ropes course was only open for 1 day I believe and it was partially because of wind. The video arcade was amazing. Pools were always over crowded and the adults only area was actually relaxing.

Haven Spa

The upsell wasn't nearly as bad as carnival which was wonderful!! And honestly, probably best swedish massage I've ever had.

Didn't get to see any. Every show was sold out as soon as we got on the boat.

No children

The service certainly wasn't bad, just not personable at all.

The design of the ship was great. It's amazing that with 5,000 people there was always somewhere to go that was not crowded. I was surprised at the lack of trash cans if you are not in a food area. Which on a cruise ship, where you can take everything with you wherever you want I feel like there should be trash cans everywhere.

I think our cabin was perfect size for us but we did get the large balcony. The large balcony was wonderful. It was big enough to fit a lounger, three chairs, a table, and a side table. Not once did we ever hear or see our neighbors. And they inside cabin itself was a good size. I was shocked at the bathroom and how big that turned out to be as well. Beware though, that was the worst bed of all time. They didn't have a fitted sheet to fit over the 2 twin mattress pushed together so they laid another sheet on top and we kept falling through the mattresses.

Ship tip

Make reservations as early as possible. Everything seemed sold out on the first night of sailing so we didn't have the option to do any shows or see any entertainment while we were on the boat which was kind of disappointing.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida

This cruise port was massive. But they have the system down on how to get everybody to their boats so that was great.

The port was okay. I guess if you have plans to go to Atlantis or need something in particular from the straw Market, it's a good port to get off on. But there was nothing to do besides that.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Jamaica was amazing. It looked like something out of a fairytale. We did Too Short's kirshen to Dunn's Falls and I'm so glad that we did. Our guide, well actually all 4 of the guides that we had, we're all wonderful and knowledgeable and very friendly. But I do suggest you bring cash because it was very hard to pay with a credit card.

George Town, Grand Cayman

This is the second time we've gone to Grand Cayman, so this time we just got up walked around and did our own thing. We tried going down to Seven Mile Beach again but I guess it's still too close to Spring break that there were just way too many people. We found a restaurant right along the cruise port that was phenomenal and just ended up having a blast by staying there and enjoying all the great food.

Disembarkation

This was the fastest and most organized cruise that we've gotten off on and it worked amazingly.

1 Comment