Norwegian Escape Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Escape 9908

Sail Date: October 22, 2016

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Just came back from a week in the Eastern Caribbean on the NCL Escape. Was concerned because it was my first time on a "big" ship. No worries, the common areas were less crowded than those on the Jewel class ships. Because there were only 2 sets of elevators it was easier to navigate the ship. This would be a problem if you have mobility issues. There are forward and aft elevators/stairs and mid ship stairs in the 678 area (common decks). I did not use the pool but never had a problem finding a seat in that area. Never got on the slides or rope course, too chicken. I was worried the cabin (9908) would be too close to the 678 waterfront (directly below the cabin) and would be too noisy, but this was not an issue. Occasionally heard music from the pool area but easy to ignore it. Typical balcony cabin, nothing special about it, didn't have any problem finding space for our stuff. Easy to stuff the luggage under the bed. Make reservations early for the shows. We waited to see the Brat Pack show until Thursday (last sea day-rough seas that day) and were unable to because the lead singer was injured during rehearsals during the day, the show was cancelled:-(

Good food, good shows, good service (The crew worked extra hard for our cruise because there had been gastroenteritis on the cruise just before ours and they had to do extra cleaning, handed out plates/sliverware, packets of salt/pepper. Nothing was left out that could carry germs! Hence the 4 star instead of 5 star rating)

Hardly felt the ocean, even when the water was rough. Went up to the pool deck and the boat was swaying. Was on a "dead end" corridor at the aft end of the ship, did not have a lot of traffic. Didn't hear the restaurant below us. Occasionally heard music from the pool deck, but not loud.
Embarkation well organized, especially if you can "skip the line" because you have Latitudes Gold status (lucky me). Walked off first thing and had no trouble getting through customs, even though a lot of people were ahead of me.
I was concerned about the size of the ship but did not have any problems with it. After getting on board, people gravitate to their happy place and the crowds dissipate.
Great time on the Champagne Cat in St. Thomas. I would recommend the land tour to the Virgin Gorda Baths over the snorkel tour if the sea is rough.
My sister was very happy with the activities. I hibernated mostly.
Did not have children on board.
High quality entertainment
The crew worked extra hard because of the previous weeks illness.
Food choices were limited due to illness the week before so some items were removed from the menu, however everything was tasty.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
St Thomas, US Virgin Isles
The Champagne Cat excursion to St. John's was awesome

If you have an early excursion (7am) take some food from the cafe the day before as you may not be able to eat much before your excursion. I'm thinking cereal and milk, yogurt, a piece of fruit, nuts/cheese. They can be stored in your mini fridge (have the steward take out the stocked stuff.