Norwegian Escape Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Don't do it!

Sail Date: May 14, 2016

I have cruised 8 times including international cruises.  This was my first experience with Norwegian.  I would not do it again.  I should state the people were wonderful, the entertainment was fine, the boat was clean etc.  It is the corporation and their unscrupulous acts that are bad.  First, I got the ultimate drink package for 3 and a soda package for 1.  When they say a free package they are misleading you.  You have to pay $80 per person for the taxes on the liquor package.  Last year on Celebrity, the free drink package meant free!  I did not pay a tax or extra fees.  Second, the ship was supposed to leave port at 4:00.  One month before the departure, Norwegian changed it to 7:00 p.m.  Not a big deal right? I was on the ship drinking and sitting by the pool what's not to love? That is until we got our bill checked 2 days after leaving port.  They charge you a port fee for sitting in the port drinking.  It was $20!  We had no idea.  I am not saying the port of  Miami doesn't charge this but the ship should absorb this cost or at least tell the poor consumer this is happening.  In addition, after 4:00 the cost should have been on Norwegian as they changed the departure time.  Third, my son who had a liquor package went with me to a restaurant on the boat.  He ordered a root beer.  They charged him $3.50.  Once again we did not know we would be charged for this.  This makes no sense.  If he ordered a Jack and Coke it would be covered but not a root beer, go figure.  When we cruised with Celebrity, they had free gaming sessions ie tournaments.  You had to pay attention to the brochure but they were truly free.  Norwegian had sessions in the brochure with no asterisk stating it cost or has a fee associated with it so one would think it was free.  I made my husband leave the pool only to find out the gaming session had a fee associated with it.  I have no problem with a cruise ship charging for stuff like this but tell the consumer.  At the end of the trip, there were so many extra fees I couldn't believe it.  I researched this trip a lot.  I read all the ship had to offer before we left.  I looked at the ports of call at nauseam.    Even with my research, I could not have expected what would be added.  Norwegian BOAT stands for "bring out another thousand".