Fun ship - especially for families
Norwegian Escape Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern
Sail Date: February 06, 2016
Ship: Norwegian Escape
Cabin Type: Balcony
Cabin Number: 15242
Traveled As: Couple
Reviewed: 2 years ago
We recently returned from a 7 night Caribbean Cruise on the Norwegian Escape Mega ship. This was our first cruise on such a large ship and decided there are good and not so good cruising on a mega ship.
1.The entertainment options are wonderful. The escape theater have to stellar shows, The Million Dollar Quartet and After Midnight, but travelers beware you need to make a reservation for the top shows if you hope to get in. No cost but if you don't have a reservation you may not get in. No standing allowed.
They had a great comedy show (also need reservations) and we loved the H2O outdoor bar area for dancing and socializing. We were there till 2 or 3:00 AM 3 nights.
2. They have an amazing zip line and rope climbing course right on the ship. I did the course twice and loved it.
3. A wonderful water play area for kids and a kids pool and a small water slide for the young ones. For the older kids and adults (including Me) they have a large fun water slide and a more daring vertical drop slide. The kids water play area was full everyday and this is February so probably at spring break or the summer it will be packed.
4. Great fitness center on the ship with every kind of equipment you could want. Great treadmills with walking views you can select. Kept me on the treadmill a lot longer. Note though early in the morning all the treadmills can be full when you come in.
5. Great teen game room with all kinds of fun stuff for the teenagers.
6. Minigolf! Can get crowded though.
7. Cleanliness - the ship was extremely clean all the time as well as the dining areas despite over 4,000 guests.
8. Bathrooms in the balcony staterooms were more spacious.
9. Stateroom was comfy, bed was comfy.
10. Considering they turn this ship around with a whole new group of 4,000 or so guests every saturday and have to clean it get it stocked and people off the ship and the next ones on the ship they do an amazing job. 4,000 off the ship by 10:00 AM, 4,000 new guests on the ship by 4:00 - with all that luggage on and off not to mention all the staterooms to clean and food service areas to clean and stock. That part is amazing.
NOT SO GOOD
1. The food in the main dining room(s) was not the best. I don't think I had one meal there that was stellar and the selections became boring. I have had much better on other Norwegian ships.
2. The variety of food in the Garden Cafe also became boring and in the afternoon and evening some selections were not very good. Very limited fruit in the morning breakfast and usually only one type of yogurt was put out. Bacon was frequently under cooked and greasy. They only had one toaster at each serving line so there would be a big backup waiting for people to get their toast.
3. Being a mega ship it is very crowded. Getting a drink at some of the popular bars was a challenge. Getting on an elevator say at floor 6 going to 17 you could wait for 3 or 4 elevators to pass you that were full. One thing, you got tired of waiting and got exercise walking the stairs.
4. We found the crew on other Norwegian ships to be more friendly but I think it is because the folks that work this ship are incredibly busy and don't have much time for small talk. They literally work their butts off!
5. They have an outdoor jogging track but God Bless you if you can't get on there before about 7:30 AM. It is on the same deck as water slide access and stairs to other activities so you if want to run it is an obstacle course during most of the day.
6. Burger in Paradise - Margaritaville. You now have to pay for this?? Used to be a no extra charge eatery I heard. Now you pay for your burger and fries there. No wonder it was so empty when you have all the other food venues on board that don't have an extra charge. Although I don't recall seeing burgers on the menu anywhere else on the ship.
7. For the size of the ship the adult or all person swimming pool is quite small. I was surprised.