Norwegian Escape Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Needs improvement

Sail Date: December 26, 2015

Good =

1. Food quality and options

2.  Excellent and friendly cruise staff with games, entertaining pool games...

3.  Clean Ship

4.  Fun ropes course, arcade

5.  Great Kid program

6.  Tons of fun bars with good top shelf liquor and wine.

Bad =

1.  Didn't seem to have enough staff for dining - sometimes the waits were very long to get meals served.  Also many of the dining options which required reservations were book up prior to the cruise beginning.  If you had purchased an Ultimate Dining Package this was a problem because you couldn't use it.  I was lucky and made reservations for 4 nights.  During those evenings I did see plenty of empty tables and people were being turned away from the place and were told they were booked up.  Not sure why they were turned away.  The food was very good overall and the dining package was great to have since I did have reservations.  If I had not made reservations prior to leaving for the cruise I would have wasted the money.

2.  The shows were also booked up very early.  Last time I cruised you could just go to the comedy club without reservations and I was not aware that they were needed for this cruise.  I was never able to see any shows for this reason in the comedy club and the other shows which have always required reservations were always booked.

3.  Lack of pool chair and holding procedures.  This is my biggest complaint and why I will not cruise NCL again.  On the first day I got up around 8 am to head to the pool and deck area and there were almost no chairs available.  We had only 3 in our group and I had great difficulty finding 3 chairs that were not being held by towels.  Almost every chair on ALL levels were being held by towels.  This occurred every day at sea which is when most people are getting some sun. The next day I got up earlier at 7:30 and didn't have much better luck,  On vacation I would like to relax and sleep in and not worry about getting a freaking deck chair.   When I did find some seats on the first day I paid attention to those held chairs near me and most of the chairs went unoccupied until after 11.  It was ridiculous how many were held - sometimes 10 in a row by a shoe or just a towel.  Some people were bolder than me and were throw off the towel and when those who originally held the chair came back hours later they seemed shocked there stuff was moved and arguments began.  I really just wanted to relax and not worry about getting a chair.

3.  Drink Service near the pool and surrounding areas was not existent.  I was never once approached by a waiter or waitress trying to sell me a drink.  A trip to the bar was the only way I could get a drink.  This may be because most people on the ship had the free drink package which was being promoted prior to the sailing.

Very nice location near front of the ship and not too far from floors containing casino and dining. A bit of a hike to the 16th for the buffet and pool area.
Really awesome Cruise director staff. Cruise Director Julie and especially Sara were awesome. Great fun games and involvement amongst passengers during games.
Overall staff was very friendly and helpful except around the deck areas when sunbathing. Would have liked more waiters walking around brining drinks and not having to walk to bar each time.
Food was good when you could get a reservation.

Be sure to make all reservations for dining, shows, excursions before leaving, several months in advance if possible. If not you will be stuck at the buffet for every meal.

For the pool and deck areas get up early if you want a chair.