Norwegian Escape Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Second Mate

A great family ship!

Sail Date: October 29, 2015

The first cruise of the Norwegian Escape exceeded my expectations.

Having sailed on maiden cruises of other ships I expected some disorganization and lack of readiness to aaccommodate a large number of passengers.  Not so.  I was disappointed with the cost of the very inefficient internet service, feel that Norwegian is exploiting it's customers.  The food was good, no complaints, but it could have been served hotter.  As a solo traveler, I am not a great fan of Freestyle Dining.

Ship is poorly and unsafely designed near the District Brewhouse.  I had to often open 4 heavy doors in passages en-route to my stateroom and found this hazardous, especially when not being able to see people or equipment on the other side of each door.  Impossible to open each door if you are carrying items in each hand, (or are disabled).  Norwegian should review this route before somebody becomes injured.

I loved my attractive stateroom, 8740 but, unfortunately, I could never make use of my balcony, even when the weather was warm and the sea perfectly calm.  It was always totally soaked with sea-spray.

The entertainment staff were excellent, made sure that all passengers were kept as happy as possible.  Julie, the Cruise Director, is professional, approachable and, possibly, the best I have encountered in 27 cruises.

All in-house entertainers were great and talented.  The main production shows marvellous.  "After Midnight" the most exquisite and brilliant production I have seen on any ship.  (But then I do like jazz music and dance.)

The ropes course is amazing, as are all the other amusements on deck.

For a ship of it's size, the main pool could have been larger.

Guest Services staff were always helpful and the entire crew were friendly.  Some staff appeared to be still "in training" but that is to be expected on a brand new ship.

Thankyou for a great cruise.

Layout good. Bright decor. Was pleased to have a coffee-maker.
Efficient and friendly stateroom attendant.
Balcony not usable as it was always wet with sea-spray, even when sea perfectly calm.
Embarkation time and efficiency excellent.
Disembarkation slow and tedious, probably due to customs procedures.
Cleanliness excellent. Design in some areas not good, see review.
Something for everyone. Unfortunately the weather was cold for most of the cruise.
In-house entertainers excellent. Many choices.
"After Midnight" truly amazing!!

Expect to pay a high cost for internet.
A fun ship for families.
Explore the ship thoroughly as there are so many attractive places to spend time.
Book main shows and specialty restaurants BEFORE sailing to get the times you want.