NCL is still a good cruise line, but it has changed for the negative over the years.

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Epic

7 Night Western Mediterranean (Barcelona Roundtrip)

Sail date: April 23, 2017

Ship: Norwegian Epic

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 11269

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Dining was the best part.  The food was good in the main dining rooms.  No need to pay to eat at a specialty restaurant.  Also, over the years the number of specialty restaurants that charge extra has grown.  I don't like this.

As for the worst part, getting aboard this ship in Barcelona was a nightmare.  Extremely poorly handled.  We too a cruise on this very ship in December out of Port Canaveral and it was an orderly process to board.  It took us in December less than half an hour from start to finish to board.  In Barcelona it took us nearly two complete hours to get to our cabin.  Very, very bad.

In general, I've been on NCL ships since 2000.  In the 16 or 17 years, the new ships have smaller and smaller cabins for each class.  Its just a way of charging more and more for the same accommodations.  I am not a fan anymore.  I am Latitudes Gold and didn't get much in the way of upgrades, etc. because of it.  NCLs loyalty program needs to reward its Gold members better.

Ship experiences

This was a nice cabin, larger than the regular balcony cabin I got in December of this very ship, but its absurd to call this a suite or Mini-Suite. It compares to the normal cabins on the NCL older ships I've been on. In December my cabin on this ship hardly had room to turn around in. This was much better but at a higher cost. I should get upgrades on every cruise I take on NCL. The overall impression I get is that NCL is continually trying to get more money per square foot of space. Understandable but not very enticing to keep long time cruisers happy and feeling special for staying loyal to NCL

Ship tip

Don't buy the smaller cabins. Spend the extra to get enough space to turn around. Don't buy cruise lines excursions. The same thing can be obtained at the dock for half the cruise lines price. Don't spring for the upcharge for the specialty restaurants. The main Dining Rooms are excellent now.

Ports of call