Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Europe

Excellent food and service but watch for hidden charges that rack up the bill

Sail Date: February 14, 2016

I just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Epic. I stayed in one of the interior solo cabins and loved the cabin! Perfect for singles with plenty of storage and space. They are very well designed and I never felt cramped.

The steward could have been better: he never vacuumed my cabin and one day I received two dirty drinking glasses!!!

I had signed up for five shore excursions but cancelled four remaining after the excursion in Tangier, Morocco. The guide took us to "sanctioned" shopping where we would be coerced into purchasing. Unless one is seasoned in bargaining with shopkeepers in Morocco, one is surely to be ripped off in some way. I did buy rugs although who knows if they were a good price?!

The ship's hidden charges come in the form of very high priced drinks and charges for the Internet, which are totally unnecessary. Also, the spa charges twice what a normal spa would charge and they also try to sell you something.

The shops are pathetic! The clothing shop for women takes up so much space on ship and has ugly expensive clothing.

Beware of the "50% off" in the jewelry store. That doesn't mean anything.

The "drugstore" essential items are few and far between and priced twice what they should be.

The makeup selection is ridiculous.

What is needed is a bookstore with good selections of books and magazines.

The library was good but small and the book exchange section was tiny.

The ship needs outdoor "promenades" around the outside of the ship, as on older vessels. Otherwise, the quiet zone on the top deck forward is lovely, as it has padded chaise lounges and is far away from the noise and music.

The food was very good, especially Cagney's in the Specialty restaurant category and The Noodle Bar in the "free" category. I went to the excellent Noodle Bar three nights for dinner.

Breakfast was not good: eggs were horrible, bacon very good, oatmeal and cream of wheat horrible.

The ports were very good. I recommend taking the Hop On Hop Off buses that are in every port to get an excellent overview of the city and region for a very minimal fee.

I will not be taking another European cruise for a long time due to travel being so difficult. And, because of very minimal Internet service aboard the ship and still being charged even when it doesn't work is unacceptable.

One last thing: upon disembarkation, the man swiping our cards didn't even look up or say, "goodbye, thank you for cruising with us."  I was very disappointed and felt like we were being kicked off.

Excellent size and comfort. Well designed and quiet. Loved my cabin!