Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A disappointing ship

Sail Date: April 20, 2014

Room Type: Suite

We have cruised with several lines in the past including Norwegian.  We booked this cruise in the last minute because we wanted to get away. We booked a "mini" suite (as per their description) on deck11, midship.  I should have know we would have issues when there were extremely long wait times on the phone every time I called Norwegian. However, we decided that was a minor inconvenience.

Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly and quickly. We booked the airline and transfers through them. Everything went smoothly.  As we boarded the ship we were greeted early and told our cabins were ready. We proceeded to the elevators and a wait. When we finally arrived on deck 11, we had to find our cabin, which was not easy. We had to walk through narrow winding corridors before we finally arrived.

The cabin was poorly designed and very cramped. If we had a mini suite I would hate to see what a regular cabin looked like. As you entered, ther was the tub on the right and the toilet on the left which you had to pass through to get to the room. The bed was practically on top of the sofa..the small balcony contained two folding type chairs, not lounge cairs and a mini table. The hair dryer was located under a counter next to the television. Since our luggage had not arrived, we went for lunch. It was very crowded and the food was a typical buffet. When we went back to our cabin, our luggage was siting outside the cabin. I guess our room steward was too busy to put it inside.

Our room steward ward was the worst I have ever seen. We never saw him and when we asked for something he appeared harried. Not once did he ask us if everything was okay. Towels seemed to be rationed. We had two bath towels, 2 hand towels and two face cloths that were put on a shelf. One day we only had 1 bath towel. The room was never really clean. Nothing shine. You could tell the counter tops were't cleaned because nothing was moved. Our steward never smiled or cared about us. Needless to say we did not leave him an extra tip before leaving.

On our cruise they were introducing a new menu. The meats and seafood were of mediocre to poor quality. I returned my steak because it was like shoe leather. A person at another table sent his meal back twice .  We were given peas and carrots one evening. Usually on a special night lobster tail and filet are served. The closest was prime rib on the last night. Food did not look appetizing the way it was served. We ate in  Le Bistro one evening. I was disappointed that no one working in the restaurant spoke French. The food was good but we had to deal with the thumping and noise from Le Cirque on the deck above us. In fact all the walls were very thin.

Drinks were rather expensive. My husband paid $2.10 for a small glass of Pepsi, the same price as a can. We bought the top wine package.  I didn't even recognize the brands and if we didn't like the wine they wouldn't exchange it.

Despite these negatives, we enjoyed ourselves. However, We will probably never cruise with Norwegian again. I guess the saying "you get what you pay for" holds true. This was the first cruise we were on where we were not made to feel special.

Poorly designed, not very user friendly
Lacked presentation. Mediocre quality
Terrible design, cramped
Not very friendly. A few went out of their way to help
Blue Man Group was terrible.
Children's Programs Did not have children on trip
Something for everyone
Did not use cruise excursions.
Miami, Florida
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Not much to see other than the falls.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
A visit to the Mayan ruins was too far.

If you like your waiter, ask for him/her on successive nights. They will honor your request.