Our one week cruise aboard the Norwegion Epic

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Sail Date: September 22, 2013
Ship: Norwegian Epic

My good friend and I sailed on the NOrwegion Epic starting out in Barcelona, Spain and cruising to Naples, Rome and Florence, Italy, then over to France and Palma de Mallorca. This was the first cruise for her and the 4th for me. Let me tell you that firstly, due to the fact that this was my second cruise on Norwegion and I am a lattitudes member, our boarding went very smoothly and quickly! What a plus! We headed in and had a very nice lunch and welcome drink and then were able to get in to our balcony cabin.(FIRST balcony cabin for me!) and I LOVED it! Now, I am spoiled for anything other than that! Nice to have your own private space to relax and watch the seas roll by and find a little quiet space. That being said, the Epic was HUGE and for the first time in all my cruises, I felt somewhat crowded! Our first day was cruising ALL day and you could NOT find any space or chairs on the pool deck. Secondly, if you wanted to relax in the hot tubs, you could not. VERY crowded and unfortunately, alot of children were in them. The kids had their own space and large pool area and personally, I dont feel they should have been in the hot tubs. I am not adverse to kids on a cruise but with Norwegian, I was under the impression that it was mostly a grownup type cruise venue. I have never seen so many kids on a cruise on any of my past cruises.But I suppose being a very large ship, they want to fill all the cabins and allowed this. That being said, I will move on to our cabin. TONS of storage space and very nice. I did not mind the toilet seperate from the shower, it worked out fine for my friend and I and we slept well on the decent mattresses!

Food: Excellant. If you did not eat early(before 7pm) there were long lines at the main dining room and you had to wait. Most days, we were out on day trips and did not return til late so we had to wait a few times or hurry to get ready for dinner as soon as we returned if we wanted to get in. The breakfast buffet in both areas we found to be very crowded, people everywhere and by the time you found a table to sit at, your food was cold......however, I am not a big breakfast eater, so this was not a huge concern.  We did not try any of the other restaurants onboard as the food was so good in the regular dining area.

Entertainment: we saw the Blue Man Group and it was my first time and I thought they put on an EXCELLANT show! it was amusing and very fun! We also saw the Beatles Review and they were very good as well.

Pros: our cabin, food

Cons: TOO many people/kids, not enough chairs on deck,, long waits for dinner in main dining room if you didnt eat  EARLY, commakaze breakfast buffets,

long waits in main dining room if you didnt et early

Not as glam as others I have been on

TONS of storage, loved the balcony

Eat at O'Shanahans for any meal, very good food, no waits
Get a balcony mini suite cabin if you can afford the extra $, soooo worth it.